Making sloppy joes at home from scratch it also as easy as opening a can. And this hoisin flavored version will tantalize your taste buds.
I don’t go out to eat often, but when I do I rarely leave with leftovers. And what I mean by this is that I either inhale it all or I get a box to go and somehow end up leaving it on the table, much to my dismay later on.
This problem of mine is particularly annoying when I purposely ordered enough food to cover two meals. I have to make a conscious effort to hold onto my to-go box when getting ready to leave or else it’ll never make it.
One time I remembered right as I was walking out the restaurant door, but it was already too late. The waiting staff was just too fast and efficient for me :-(.
The best thing about cooking and eating at home? All my leftovers stay with me.
In fact, most of the time when I make recipes that serve multiple people, I portion out the serving I’m going to eat and then divide the rest amongst lunch-box-sized containers for lunch that week. This makes me particularly happy when I get to enjoy awesome things such as these sloppy joes more than once.
Sloppy Joes don’t have to come from a can. And they also don’t always have to be made with the same traditional seasonings either.
When I saw this recipe using hoisin sauce I had to make it. And I am glad I did because it totally beats any canned sloppy joe sauce any day. Serve with a side of crispy parmesan green beans or tots.
Celebrating National Sloppy Joe Day!
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Sloppy Joe Bites from Eat Move Make
- Thanksgiving Sloppy Joes on Mashed Potato Waffles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Delicious Sloppy Joes from Palatable Pastime
- Instant Pot Simple Sloppy Joes from Shockingly Delicious
- Asian-Style Sloppy Joes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Baked Sloppy Joe Cups from Our Crafty Mom
- Sloppy Joe Casserole from Making Miracles
- Healthy Homemade Sloppy Joes from Our Good Life
- One Skillet Sloppy Joe Pasta from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes with Hoisin and Cilantro from The Spiffy Cookie
Post updated 3/17/20, photo above is the original.
One year ago: Pasta with Brussels Sprouts, Gorgonzola & Pecans
GROUND TURKEY SLOPPY JOES WITH HOISIN AND CILANTRO
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb. ground turkey
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
4 sandwich rolls, toasted
- Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet and set the pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, salt, and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Once the turkey is browned, stir in the tomato sauce and the hoisin. Continue cooking for 5-7 more minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat under the pan and stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the rolls and serve.
Source: Tracey’s Culinary Adventures