Celebrate Dia de los Muertos with this blood orange and hibiscus margarita. Cheers to all our loved ones who can no longer be with us!
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
It’s the second to last day of #HalloweenTreatsWeek but the last recipe for me. Normally I would have squeezed in a PBchocSat combo for tomorrow but we have a bye week. Which I am all too thankful for because I seem to have contracted something awful that’s been going around and stayed home from work yesterday, and also missed out on the Ohio Eggs event last night (excuse e while I go pout). Hopefully by the time you are reading this I am feeling much better as I of course have many plans this weekend.
The festival of Dia de los Muertos may not be until Halloween but it felt like the day of the dead in my house yesterday as all I did was sleep. Thank goodness I already had these margaritas made or there’s no chance I would be sharing them with you today. Not that sharing anything with me right now is a good idea unless you want to get sick. Sorry, delirium jokes aren’t very funny. But I’m super happy with how these turned out, incorporating hibiscus into the simple syrup that adds just a little extra flavor when combined with the blood orange juice and tequila. Perfect for sipping while handing out candy to the kids ;-). Want more? Try my blood orange margarita jello shots!
I used sponsored products for this recipe such as granulated sugar from Dixie Crystals, sprinkles and straws from Sweets and Treats Shop, and marshmallow sculls from Treat Street USA. Scroll down for the list of other spooky treats for #HalloweenTreatsWeek today and at the end of this post is the giveaway info and entry!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Poison Apple Cupcakes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple Cider Jello Shots from Fake Ginger
- Ghost Meringue Cookies from Cookaholic Wife
- Eyeball Monster Cookies from Jen Around the World
- Spooky Eyeball Truffles from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Chocolate Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Bloody Eyeball Crinkle Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Day of the Dead Margaritas from The Spiffy Cookie
- Ectoplasm Fluff Salad from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Loaded Bat Bark from Who Needs A Cape?
- Halloween Icebox Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Creepy Eyeball Popcorn Balls from West Via Midwest
- Purple People Eater Cupcakes from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cheeseballs from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Cakesickles from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween M&M Cookie Bars from Katie’s Cucina
- Witches Midnight Puppy Chow from My Sweet Zepol
- Individual Jack Skellington Cheesecakes from Savory Moments
- Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Sprinkle Frosting from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Brownie Parfait from Intelligent Domestications
- Bloody Good Fudge from A Blender Mom
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin Frosting and Spooky Sprinkles from Nancie’s Table
- Spooky Shortbread Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
Two years ago: October 2017 Stitch Fix #25
Four years ago: Chocolate Chip Peanut Pie
Five years ago: Homemade Peanut Butter Goo Goo Clusters
Six years ago: Crispy Gnocchi
Eight years ago: Butternut Squash Soup
DAY OF THE DEAD (BLOOD ORANGE HIBISCUS) MARGARITAS
HIBISCUS SIMPLE SYRUP
1 hibiscus tea bag
1 cup water
1 cup Dixie Crystals granulated pure cane sugar
3 oz. tequila
2 oz. fresh blood orange juice
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. hibiscus simple syrup
Bright sprinkles (I used Sweets and Treats) or coarse salt for the rim
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water and tea bag and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep according to manufacturer instructions. Remove tea bag, bring back to a boil, and add sugar, whisking until it dissolves. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in sprinkles or coarse salt. Fill the glass with ice, if preferred.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, hibiscus simple syrup, more ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Strain and pour over ice in glass. Repeat for additional margaritas.
Source: Adapted slightly from my Kiwi Margaritas.
Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.