This dish is a garlic lover’s dream. Mini gnocchi (gnocchetti) and asparagus are tossed in a creamy garlic-gorgonzola sauce made with enough garlic to keep the vampires away.
Today is National Garlic day and to celebrate I joined up with a bunch of other food bloggers to share recipes that predominantly feature this beloved food enhancer. There’s even a stellar giveaway to go along with it!
When thinking of what to make for the occasion, I immediately thought of a garlic restaurant in San Francisco at which I once ate, which takes pride in how much garlic they use every day. We had garlic seeping out of our pores afterwards and I relished in it, refusing gum afterwards. This pasta dish is my recreation of what I ordered – mini gnocchi (gnocchetti) and asparagus tossed in a garlicky-gorgonzola cream sauce. I used 8 cloves of garlic (which amounted to 1/4 cup minced) in the sauce. In other words, this is not for the faint of heart when it comes to garlic.
Check out all the other garlicky goodness happening today:
- Black Garlic Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream from girlichef
- Caesar Tartlets with Sweet Garlic Butter Crusts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Garlic Infused Olive Oil from MarocMama
- Garlic and Herb Lamb Chops from Healthy. Delicious.
- Garlic Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Garlic Dill Roasted Potato Wedges from From Gate to Plate
- Garlic Fried Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Garlic Soup with Cheese & Garlic Olive Crunch Bread from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Garlic Trifecta with Quinoa Pasta and Spinach from Peaceful Cooking
- Gnocchetti with Asparagus and Garlic-Gorgonzola Sauce from The Spiffy Cookie
- Heart Healthy Roasted Garlic Chicken Recipe from It’s Yummi!
- Roasted Garlic Butter from Basic N Delicious
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza Pockets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow-Roasted Lamb with 40 Cloves of Garlic from Food Lust People Love
- Vampire Garlic Dip from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
One year ago: Strawberry, Mango, and Yogurt Smoothie
Two years ago: More Fudge Less Pudge Brownies
Three years ago: Coconut Chicken Salad with Apricot Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
GHOCCHETTI WITH ASPARAGUS AND GARLIC-GORGONZOLA SAUCE
1 lb. gnocchetti (mini gnocchi)
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
8 cloves garlic, minced (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup white wine
4 oz. gorgonzola
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add gnocchetti and asparagus and cook until gnocchetti floats, about 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced by half. Add gorgonzola, gnocchetti, and asparagus, and stir until cheese has melted. Use reserved pasta water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Serve topped with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Source: Inspired by a dish from The Stinking Rose in San Francisco, CA.
In honor of National Garlic Day and our love of the stinking rose, we are giving away a Garlic Lovers Prize Pack (valued at over $100) that includes:
- The Garlic Farmers’ Cookbook
- One-year membership to the Garlic Seed Foundation
- 5 Garlic Button Covers
- OXO Good Grips Garlic Press
- The Ultimate Garlic Peeler
- Tumbleweed Pottery Garlic Clove Canister Keeper with Vented Lid
- Terra Cotta Garlic Roaster
- 2 Bulbs of Whole Black Garlic
To enter, simply leave a comment on this post (mandatory) answering this question: What is your favorite GARLICKY dish (or one that you’d love to try)?
After you’ve answered the question for entry into this contest, be sure to record that you did so in the rafflecopter widget below; doing so will unlock many more optional ways to earn entries.
This giveaway is open to residents of the Continental USA. Entries will be accepted through 11:59 pm ET on Thursday, April 24, 2014. All entries will be verified. A winner will be chosen from qualifying entries via random draw, and notified via email within 48 hours of the close of this contest. The winner will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to respond with their complete name and mailing address (no P.O. Boxes). If no response is received within 24 hours, a new winner will be chosen.
Prizes provided by The Garlic Seed Foundation, Food Lust People Love and girlichef. Prizes may vary slightly from images shown and are subject to replacement with comparable items if ones pictured are no longer available at the close of this contest. Items may be shipped separately.
Almost everything I cook contains garlic, but my favorite is 40 clove garlic chicken.
If only we didnt forget the pine nuts…
Spaghetti sauce with garlic bread! Thank you!
I love garlic!! It is delicious in everything from pizza to chili to steamed vegetables!
a really yummy alfredo sauce, thanks
I love roasted garlic smeared on fresh baguettes~!
Garlic is my favorite food group
I would love to try chicken with 40 cloves of garlic
I put garlic on just about everything savory. I really want to try to roast my own garlic. So simple I just haven’t gotten to it yet.
I want to try the 40 clove chicken!
You just love combining all my favorite flavors :-D This is the type of dish I would make for myself when the guys are doing their fast food nights (not a fast food fan here). Definitely pinning this.
Oops, as for what my fave garlic dish is, I love making Garlic Confit. It can be used in sooooo many things!
I just made Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves…awesome!
I love pretty much anything with garlic in it, but my all-time favorite is good old garlic mashed potatoes.
All my favorite things in one! Great recipes that I can’t wait to try!
Hmmm…I live in Silicon Valley but never been to The Stinky Rose. I think I might replicate this dish first, however.
Oh, this sounds like garlic heaven. Gnocchetti, garlic and asparagus. Yum!
Garlic bread is my favorite
Fortunately we are not the faint of heart when it comes to garlic, Erin! Your gnocchetti sound wonderful. I’ve made gnocchi before but usually just serve it with tomato sauce. I love your garlic and gorgonzola sauce! And that fresh asparagus? Genius!
Oh my goodness. I’ve got to try this! Pinned!
Wow! Such great flavors!
Oh my gosh, I am so jealous…I have always wanted to eat at The Stinking Rose!! Your dish is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the gnoccheti, I haven’t seen them before. I would’ve refused the gum, too ;).
Garlic, pine nuts and gnocchi…I’m all over this recipe! I’m pinning and stumbling this one! Thanks and Happy National Garlic Day!
Not trying to sound demanding or anything, but I need this in my belly….NOW! :)
I love gnocchi and with garlic this sounds delicious, Erin!
I know some people don’t like the smell of garlic, but I absolutely adore it!! I want to drink that gorgonzola sauce.