Take white pizza to the next level with this shaved asparagus ricotta pizza. Asparagus and prosciutto sit on top of a mixture of creamy ricotta, parmesan, fresh basil, garlic, and lemon.
Have you ever had asparagus on pizza? Because if not, this is a sign that you should in the form of this shaved asparagus and ricotta pizza.
While this is definitely no the first time I’ve used asparagus as a pizza topping, it is definitely the first time I have shaved it into ribbons. The extra little bit of effort really makes it an even better pizza topping as it is easier to bite through that when it is a full cooked asparagus. And the convenient part is that you don’t have to trim off those woody ends as they make for a great handle to hold while shaving with a peeler.
Underneath those beautiful edible ribbons of asparagus, this asparagus ricotta pizza base is made from a mixture of creamy ricotta, nutty parmesan, fresh basil, zesty lemon, and pungent garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper then dollop with some shreds of fresh mozzarella and you have the perfect base for this tasty white pizza.
It looks gorgeous once it’s cooked too, I almost forgot the next step…
Once it’s out of the oven, top it off with some torn prosciutto (omit for vegetarian), more fresh basil, and a little drizzle of lemon juice. The only thing that could possibly make this pizza better is a drizzle of balsamic glaze instead but with the summer heat I wanted to keep it lighter in flavor.
So what do you say to adding this shaved asparagus ricotta pizza to your menu for pizza night? If you are feeling brave try another of my favorite white pizzas – grape and gorgonzola pizza.
Six years ago: Dragon’s Egg Cheese Ball
Nine years ago: BBQ Chicken Salad with Cornbread Croutons
Ten years ago: Peach Chicken with Balsamic Glaze
Twelve years ago: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Mini S’mores Pies
- 1 pound store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- Cornmeal, for dusting baking sheet
- 1-1/2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 pound asparagus (medium thickness)
- 4 slices prosciutto, roughly torn
- Place pizza stone* on oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick. Transfer the dough to a pizza peel** liberally sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rest while you prepare the toppings.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons basil, lemon zest, garlic, and olive oil. Season the cheese mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus length-wise into thin ribbons***. Place in a small bowl and toss with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Spread the ricotta mixture all over the pizza, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges, top with mozzarella, then evenly distribute the asparagus ribbons on top.
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes, rotating half-way through, until the crust is fully baked and golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven to a cutting board, add strips of prosciutto (if using) on top, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of basil, and serve.
*If you don't have a pizza stone, assemble your pizza on a baking pan. **If you have a pizza stone, but not a pizza peel, use un-rimmed baking sheet. ***Don't remove the tough ends, instead use them to grip the asparagus as you peel them.
Source: Adapted from Just a Taste.