Let your slow cooker do the hard work. Throw the ingredients for this creamy chicken tortilla soup into your slow cooker and you’ll have a hearty and flavorful soup. Don’t forget the toppings!
Yesterday afternoon I saw an e-mail that made my tear ducts come to life. Not out of sadness, but instead from pure happiness. The day has finally come – you can now PubMed me! AaaahAAaaAhahAhhhhh!! Here’s to hoping that having this publication under my belt will help me out in the job search.
Click here to read a lot of jargon—> My glorious research paper
If I remember correctly, I first submitted this paper around mid-September 2013. Six months for two revisions with countless figure modifications for new data per reviewers’ requests. I will tell you what though, the biggest pain in the butt was figuring out how to reformat the pictures for my figures to be the correct resolution, size, file type, and lacking alpha channels (wherever the heck those things came from or even what they are). But hey, now I know how to do it for my second paper pending publication. Mastering Adobe Photoshop one scientific figure at a time. And popping open a bottle of wine to celebrate!
When that many pieces of a puzzle finally come together to create something amazing, it’s quite satisfying. Which is why you should not be scared by the lengthy list of ingredients for the recipe for this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Almost all of the ingredients are thrown into the slow cooker together and the remaining few are added at the end or sprinkled on top just before serving. And to prove it, there are only three steps. Let the slow cooker do the rest.
One Pot Wonders
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Cherry Tomatoes from Art of Natural Living
- Easy Kielbasa Cabbage Potato Skillet from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy One-Pot Mixed Millets and Dal Khichdi from Magical Ingredients
- Instant Pot Butter Beans and Country Ham from Palatable Pastime
- One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- One-Pot Stove Top Mac and Cheese from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rustic Chicken and Sausage White Bean Stew from Blogghetti
Two years ago: Dark Chocolate Nonpareil Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 quarts reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Heaping 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% Chobani)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cubed avocado
- Shredded colby-jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
- In a 6-8 quart slow cooker combine all ingredients except the frozen corn, tortillas, sour cream and salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7 hours.
- With 30 minutes left, remove chicken, shred or chop into tiny pieces, and return to the slow cooker. Mix in the corn, sliced tortillas, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with more sour cream (or Greek yogurt), avocado, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips.
Source: Adapted slightly from Eat, Live, Run.