No ice cream maker is needed to make this creamy chocolate ice cream with roasted salted almonds. Less work and all the flavor!
With ice cream month coming to a close today I thought it was appropriate to not only post an ice cream recipe but also host a giveaway for some delicious pure almond and chocolate extracts. Use the rafflecopter widget located at the end of this post and follow the prompts to enter! But first, this ice cream.
Growing up in Rochester, NY meant that my family loved Abbott’s frozen custard. While locations have started to spread outside of upstate NY, unfortunately they have not made it this far south yet. Since my dad’s favorite flavor is their chocolate almond I decided to try my hand at making my own. I even took it so far as to make a no-churn, no-cook, egg-free version. The basic no-churn recipe starts with 2 cups of heavy cream, whipped, and a can of sweetened condensed milk. From there I added cocoa powder, roasted salted almonds, and almond and chocolate extract. It may not be frozen custard but my dad was very pleased with the results – super creamy and chock-full of almonds, just the way he likes it.
Two years ago: Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese, Corn, and Bacon Waffles
NO-CHURN CHOCOLATE ALMOND ICE CREAM
Makes approximately 1-1/2 quarts
1 heaping cup whole almonds
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey pure chocolate extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the almonds with the oil. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until golden brown and smells nutty. Allow to cool completely before roughly chopping.
- In a large, chilled bowl, whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and extracts (mixture will be very thick).
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Gently fold in remaining cream until fully combined. Fold in chopped almonds.
- Pour ice cream into a loaf pan or freezer-safe container, wrap with plastic warp or tin foil and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
Disclosure: Nielsen-Massey sent me complimentary product and sponsored this giveaway. I was not otherwise compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
a Rafflecopter giveaway