Turn your no-churn ice cream tropical with the addition of coconut and pistachios! This no-churn toasted coconut pistachio ice cream is a real treat.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ever since discovering the no-churn cheat method to make ice cream without an ice cream maker I rarely bust it out. With one less day of preparation and no need to remember to freeze the bowl, it means I am one step closer to having homemade ice cream in my belly. And the more time I have to play with creative ice cream flavor ideas!
Being national ice cream month I’ve been slacking a bit but hey, I managed to squeak one in! Today’s flavor comes to you from a recipe I found in a cookbook dedicated entirely to no-churn ice creams aptly named “No-Churn Ice Cream“. I used the recipe for her toasted coconut ice cream but added my own touch with the addition of some chopped roasted pistachios.
Today is also Bob’s birthday! Since it is restaurant week, we will be dining at Lindey’s tonight to celebrate. This ice cream is also partly celebratory because that man loves his pistachios. Whenever I add pistachios to the grocery list he pretends to refuse to buy them unless he gets to eat them rather than me hoarding them for a recipe.
While I did use pistachios in this no-churn coconut ice cream, I managed to leave plenty of unused pistachios behind for him to snack on later (as made evident by the cascading nuts in the background of these photos).
Now to resist the urge to use them in another recipe like caramelized white chocolate pistachio ice cream… better act fast Bob!
What more ideas like this coconut pistachio ice cream?
- 1 cup unsweetened grated or shredded coconut
- 1 (13 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot stir the sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk together and place over medium-low heat.
- Once the coconut is toasted add to the hot milk mixture and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add the coconut extract, lime juice, and salt. Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and strain the coconut out of the mixture, pressing to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold into the coconut mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the pistachios.
- Transfer to a freezable container, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 6 hours or overnight before serving.
Source: Adapted slightly from No-Churn Ice Cream by Leslie Bilderback.
Items you may need (affiliate links):