Turn your no-churn ice cream tropical with the addition of coconut! Then add some chopped pistachios for a real treat.
Ever since discovering the cheat method to make ice cream without an ice cream maker I rarely bust it out. With one less day of preparation and no need to remember to freeze the bowl, it means I am one step closer to having homemade ice cream in my belly. And the more time I have to play with creative ice cream flavor ideas! Being national ice cream month I’ve been slacking a bit but hey, I managed to squeak one in! Today’s flavor comes to you from a recipe I found in a cookbook dedicated entirely to no-churn ice creams aptly named “No-Churn Ice Cream”. I used the recipe for toasted coconut ice cream and added some chopped roasted pistachios.
Today is also Bob’s birthday! Since it is restaurant week, we will be dining at Lindey’s tonight to celebrate. This ice cream is also partly celebratory because that man loves his pistachios. Whenever I add pistachios to the grocery list he pretends to refuse to buy them unless he gets to eat them rather than me hoarding them for a recipe. While I did use pistachios in this no-churn coconut ice cream, I manged to leave plenty of unused pistachios behind for him to snack on later (as made evident by the cascading nuts in the background of these photos). Now to resist the urge to use them in another recipe… better act fast Bob!
One year ago: Creamy Peanut Chicken with Rice
Two years ago: Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Four years ago: Broccoli Garbanzo Pasta
NO-CHURN TOASTED COCONUT PISTACHIO ICE CREAM
Makes approximately 1 quart
1 cup unsweetened grated or shredded coconut
1 (13 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachios (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot stir the sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk together and place over medium-low heat.
- Once the coconut is toasted add to the hot milk mixture and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add the coconut extract, lime juice, and salt. Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and strain the coconut out of the mixture, pressing to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold into the coconut mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the pistachios.
- Transfer to a freezable container, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 6 hours or overnight before serving.
Source: Adapted slightly from No-Churn Ice Cream by Leslie Bilderback.
Items you may need (affiliate links):
Made something from the blog?
Be sure to share it
on Instagram with the
ooooh I do love the creativity! I still need to bust out my ice cream maker, though lol
I haven’t used my actual ice cream maker in almost a year…
This looks amazing! Love the coconut milk base and pistachio ice cream is such a classic :)