This is my fourth hot cocoa mix recipe. First I made a regular version, followed by Salted Caramel, then recently made Peanut Butter and now Red Velvet! In case that isn’t enough, since last time I made special peanut butter marshmallows to pair with the peanut butter hot cocoa, I decided to go ahead and make cream cheese frosting marshmallows to complete the full flavor of a red velvet experience. And I think I am now officially in love with homemade marshmallows. You’d think that would’ve been solidified when my first was the peanut butter version, but cream cheese marshmallows? Holy freaking awesomeness.
If you notice in the background, I packaged up single servings of hot cocoa and a marshmallow in mini red containers to give away as Valentine’s Day presents. It’s a present that warms the heart, body, and soul!
One year ago: Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes with Amaretto Cream
Two years ago: Guiltless Fettuccine Alfredo
RED VELVET HOT COCOA MIX
Makes about 24 servings
3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups red velvet cake mix (dry)
1-1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 tsp salt
- Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Working in two batches, pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the chocolate is finely ground.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- To make hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot milk. Top with whipped cream, miniature marshmallows, or homemade cream cheese frosting marshmallows! (recipe below)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING MARSHMALLOWS
Makes 4 dozen
3/4 cup of water, divided
3 (.25 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
3 oz. light cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
Dash of vanilla extract
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Line a 9×9 inch baking dish with plastic wrap that’s sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spray additional piece of plastic wrap to cover the top and set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of water in the bowl of an electric mixer and add gelatin to water to soak.
- While gelatin is soaking add remaining 1/4 cup water, and white sugar to sauce pan. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add in softened cream cheese stirring until completely dissolved.
- Pour hot sugar and cream cheese mixture into gelatin and beat on high using a whisk attachment. Beat for 12 minutes or until mix is fluffy and forms stiff peaks. Add in dash of vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into baking dish using a greased spatula to smooth top. Cover marshmallow mixture with remaining prepared plastic wrap, pressing down lightly to seal.
- Allow to rest for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- When marshmallows have set, mix together cornstarch and powdered sugar in a dish. Using greased knife, or cookie cutter to cut the marshmallows and then dredge lightly in the cornstarch mixture. Shake off excess.
- If packaging the marshmallows for gifts be certain that they are stored in an airtight container. Keep time is 2 weeks.