With one of my best friends being gluten intolerant, I am always very interested in trying out new gluten-free products. Especially since she tells me how far gluten-free products have come over the years (you should see how excited she gets over bagels). Gone are the days when gluten-free meant boring. One proof of this fact lies with Blue Diamond’s Nut-Thins. They are a crunchy cracker loaded with nutritious nuts and baked to perfection. Flavors include: Plain Almond, Almond Hint of Sea Salt, Almond Smokehouse, Almond Cheddar Cheese, Almond Country Ranch, Almond Pepper Jack Cheese and also Hazelnut, and Pecan.
Although these crackers are great for dips and snacking, I decided to make a meal with them. I had made this recipe before with bread crumbs and ground pecans, so I decided to replace all of the breading with ground up Blue Diamond Pecan Nut-Thins. The result? A perfectly crunchy and flavorful exterior. I really want to try the Almond Cheddar Nut-Thins for a cheesy version! Hopefully I’ll like it better than the unhealthier Cheetos Crusted Chicken haha.
Blue Diamond products can be found at any Whole Foods or natural foods section in your local grocery store, and online at www.bluediamond.com.
Wondering what those purple lumps are in the background? You will find out soon!
One year ago: Homemade Pumpkin Puree
PECAN-CRUSTED CHICKEN WITH ROASTED BROCCOLI
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded about 1/2-inch thin
1/4 cup ground Blue Diamond Pecan Nut-Thins
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg white
2 Tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small roasting pan, drizzle olive oil over chopped broccoli florets. Toss with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In one small bowl, combine cracker crumbs with salt and pepper. In a second bowl, whisk egg white until just foamy. In a third bowl, place flour.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour, dip in egg white and then press both sides into breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place on a small baking sheet coated with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Cook the chicken and broccoli for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown, turning both the chicken and broccoli once halfway through the cooking time.
Source: Adapted slightly from SELF Magazine.
Disclosure: I received samples of Blue Diamond Nut-Thins from Ocra Communications. I was not compensated for this post. Thoughts and opinions are my own.