The best way to describe these is quick little Breakfast pizzas. Soft bread layer on the bottom covered in pesto and a slice of tomato, all topped with eggs mixed with some Alfredo sauce and sprinkled with basil and more tomato. And it’s warm and ready to eat in under 20 minutes. Don’t you love warm Breakfasts? Especially when it’s pouring rain outside, and I’d much rather stay in bed than go into work. It’s a little treat to reward myself for not being a complete slacker.
This serves six, but if you are like me and cooking for one this is what I did: Cook only one egg to go in one of the baskets and put the rest in a sealed container in the fridge. Then later just pop them into the toaster oven while making fresh scrambled eggs.
1 medium tomato
1 can (11 oz) refrigerated original breadsticks (12 breadsticks)
1/4 cup basil pesto
1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp milk
1-1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup Alfredo pasta sauce
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 6 thin slices from tomato; finely dice remaining tomato for garnish. Set aside.
- Unroll dough; separate into 12 breadsticks. Shape each of 6 breadsticks into a coil; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Starting at center, press out each coil into 3 1/2-inch round. Twist remaining breadsticks; wrap 1 twisted breadstick around edge of each round to make 1/2-inch rim; press edges to seal.
- Spread 1 rounded teaspoon of the pesto in bottom of each round; top with tomato slice. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat eggs and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the basil. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in skillet; add egg mixture. Cook 4 minutes, gently lifting cooked portions with spatula so that thin, uncooked portion can flow to bottom, until eggs are thickened but still slightly moist. Stir in pasta sauce.
- Divide egg mixture evenly among bread baskets. Garnish with diced tomato and remaining 1/2 tablespoon basil.