Is there ever any doubt that the perfect sandwich to pair with tomato soup is grilled cheese? Surely there is not! Which is why when I made the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque this sandwich was a necessity. The only dilemma I ran in to, was deciding on which cheese to use. There are so many delicious options and combinations! Smoked Gouda is a frequent pick, but this time I went with a three-cheese party including Asiago, Sharp White Cheddar, and Fontina. Enjoy!
Ingredients (per sandwich):
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup grated cheese (I change this every time – today is Asiago, Sharp White Cheddar, and Fontina)
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, spread mustard on one slice of bread. Distribute the cheese evenly over the mustard, season with fresh black pepper and top with second piece of bread.
- Lightly coat the first side of the bread to be cooked with olive oil using a pastry brush.
- Place the sandwich, top-side down in the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until browned. before flipping, brush the other side of the sandwich with olive oil. Carefully flip over, and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, then dig in!
Source: Adapted from Alton Brown