Elvis was known to love peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwiches, so I bet he would have also loved these bacon wrapped peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies (aka Elvis Cookies).
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Not only is today International Bacon Day, it’s the first Ohio State Buckeyes football game of the season! Which also means that today is the first day of my annual #PBchocSat series, posting different peanut butter and chocolate recipes every Saturday for Buckeye football season.
Obviously, I combined the two events into one recipe today with these honey candied bacon wrapped peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies. They are a mouthful both by name and in flavor.
As you can see from the name, these were inspired by Elvis’s favorite sandwich. I chose to candy the bacon in honey because he sometimes added it to his famously beloved sandwich. It also helped the bacon get a bit crispier than it would otherwise.
The key to these cookies is actually only baking the honey-candied bacon halfway before loosely wrapping around the raw cookie dough. That way the bacon will be nice and crispy and the loose wrap allows for the cookie dough to spread as it bakes. And the cookies will soak up a little bit of the remaining bacon grease while baking together. The end result was a chewy peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookie wrapped in crispy bacon with a hint of honey flavor.
If the two-step process of baking the bacon and then the cookies is too much for you, feel free to skip the candied bacon and stir in chopped cooked bacon instead. I thought the extra effort was worth it, especially for the look of the bacon wrapped around each cookie.
Love these Elvis Cookies? Try some of my other Elvis-inspired treats:
Two years ago: Puppy Chow Cookies
Four years ago: Mexican Brownies
Six years ago: No-Bake Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie
Eight years ago: Flourless Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Ten years ago: Cake Batter Chocolate Bark
HONEY CANDIED BACON
- 18 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 Tbsp creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 1 large)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay a wire rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a large shallow bowl, mix honey and brown sugar. Dredge bacon slices through the honey mix, lightly rubbing it over each slice.
- Lay strips on wire rack and bake for 15 minutes or until halfway cooked. Remove and drain on paper towels until ready to use.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together cooled peanut butter and butter with both sugars until combined. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the mashed banana and mix until combined. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing with a large spoon until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, shape the dough into balls, loosely wrap with one slice of bacon*, and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden and the middles are puffy (they will still be soft). Let cool 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely
* Tuck ends under the bottom and leave room for the cookie to spread.
Source: Adapted from my Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cookies, Tablespoon.com, and my Cocoa Candied Bacon.
[…] you love this flavor combo you should try my Elvis Cookies and Elvis Old […]