This fluffy, rich, and nutty chestnut chocolate mousse is an easy but elegant looking dessert. Perfect for both casual days or even big holidays!
This content was created using complimentary products from Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Taylor & Colledge, and Narin’s. I was not otherwise compensated and all thoughts/opinions are my own.
Other than the traditional Christmas song, I had zero experience with chestnuts prior to this recipe. I used to think they were toxic but evidently I had them confused with horse chestnuts. Heck I’ve never had a steamed nut before, let alone a steamed chestnut. SO let’s check all those things off the list today!
I originally wanted to make a pasta dish with the steamed chestnuts from Melissa’s Produce, with the nuts ground up into the dough itself. But then I saw a recipe using them blended up into a chocolate mousse and I was sold. Like a Nutella mousse but next level. Especially topped with a little extra whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and a chocolate chip graham cracker.
This mousse was everything I hoped it would be: rich yet fluffy and full of flavor. It’s also easy to make as long as you have a blender (or food processor) to do the hard work for you. And a hand mixer because IDK about you bur I’m not a fan of hand whipping whipped cream, There are better tools for the job, but I suppose you can whip it without. You can’t really make this recipe without an appliance to do the pureeing steps.
As I mentioned before, this recipe used sponsored products including steamed chestnuts from Melissa’s produce, vanilla from Taylor & Colledge, sugar from Dixie Crystals, and a couple chocolate chip oat crackers from Narin’s as garnish.
Ready to dive in with a big ol’ spoon? I don’t blame you. I actually dove into mine before bringing these over to our neighbor’s house for a pizza night – you know, for quality control. Sure enough they were devoured despite the copious amount of pizza that was eaten.
Looking for more fall-inspired recipes? Scroll down to see the Thursday share list for #FallFlavors week. And there’s still time to enter the giveaway! The widget to enter is located after all the prize info at the bottom of this post.
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Crispy Air Fryer Cauliflower from Simple and Savory
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie from House of Nash Eats
- Roasted Grapes Crostini With Rosemary And Pecans from Eat Move Make
- Rosemary Roasted Cashews from SueBee Homemaker
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Coffee Cake from Devour Dinner
- Apple Pecan Loaf from Palatable Pastime
- Eggless Pear Almond Mini Loaves from Magical Ingredients
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts And Sweet Potatoes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut Pesto Brussels Sprouts from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- No Marinade Lamb Kabobs from Art of Natural Living
- Chocolate Pumpkin Mini Cheesecakes from Jen around the world
- Graham Cracker Crumble from The Fresh Cooky
- Pear Crisp Recipe from Hostess At Heart
Six years ago: September 2015 Stitch Fix #11
Seven year ago: Corn Spoon Bread
Ten years ago: Baklava Mousse Cups
- 10.5 oz. vacuum-packed or jarred roasted or steamed chestnuts (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 3 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Chocolate graham crackers, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add chestnuts, milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by one-quarter and chestnuts smash fairly easily, about 15–17 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Meanwhile, chop 4 ounces of the chocolate. Using a peeler, shave remaining ounce of chocolate; set aside until ready to serve as garnish.
- Transfer chestnut mixture to a blender* and process on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add chopped chocolate and blend on high speed until chocolate is melted, about 30 seconds. Scrape into a large bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, 15–20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whip 2 cups cream until it hold medium peaks. Stir one-third of cream into chocolate mixture to lighten it, then fold in remaining cream just until incorporated. Transfer to a large serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 1 day until set.
- When ready to serve, whip remaining 1 cup cream and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar in a medium bowl to medium peaks. Garnish mousse with fresh whipped cream, reserved chocolate shavings, and chocolate graham crackers.
*Or food processor
Source: Adapted slightly from Epicurious.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 valuea Rafflecopter giveaway
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.