This classic sweet macaroni salad is a must have for any backyard BBQ or cookout this summer. Don’t let the ingredients deter you!
Today is the start of #BBQweek! I’m virtually gathering with 19 other bloggers to share all the recipes you’ll need for hosting a fantastic backyard BBQ. First up it a recipe I got from my mom – sweet macaroni salad.
Never had sweet macaroni salad before? Prepare yourself for this ingredient list:
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Apple cider vinegar
Never would I have thought to add sugar, let alone sweetened condensed milk, to mac salad. My mom gave me this recipe in 2009 from who knows what source, but this was actually the first time I made it. Bob threw me a BBQ birthday party with our vaccinated friends so I took the opportunity to whip this up for the first gathering we’ve hosted in over a year.
Do you need to make it the day before?
It’s not required, but I did taste it both immediately upon mixing and after an overnight rest and there really was something magical about the flavors after they slept in the fridge overnight. I found it to be too sweet at first, but once the flavors married it mellowed out and tasted like a classic old school mac salad.
And the proof is in the pudding because this vat of mac salad did not last long at our BBQ party! But if you’re still not convinced, another great option is my BBQ pasta salad.
Monday #BBQWeek Recipes
Appetizers and Drinks
- Cherimoya Margarita by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- BBQ Macaroni Salad by Making Miracles
- Cool Beans Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon by House of Nash Eats
- DIY BBQ Potato Chips by Palatable Pastime
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
- Honeydew Cucumber Salad by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Sweet Macaroni Salad by The Spiffy Cookie
- Warm New Potato and Pea Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cuban Marinated Chicken Tacos by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Citrus-Marinated Pork Chops by Sweet Beginnings
- Grilled Flounder Tacos with Peach Jalapeno Salsa by Our Good Life
- Sausage and Peppers by Devour Dinner
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- The Best Grilled BBQ Pork Ribs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Elvis Presley Cake by Family Around the Table
- Grilled Pineapple with Maple Syrup Glaze by Blogghetti
- No-Bake Kumquat Creamsicle Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Four years ago: Braided Apple Ginger Danish
Five years ago: DoorDash Review
Nine years ago: Italian Dressing Mix
Ten years ago: Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
- 16 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion*, diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, but 2 minutes past al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl combine macaroni, carrots, pepper, and onion.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled.
* My mom liked to use yellow onion
Source: My mom