How do you make a whiskey sour cocktail not only purple but also vegan? By using dried butterfly pea flowers and aquafaba!
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy February! January crept by but decided to leave it’s mark by dumping a lot of snow on us for the last weekend. Fairly certain Punxsutawney Phil is not going to call for an early end to winter at this rate. It’s not like we are all slowly losing out sanity being stuck inside.
Thankfully, we can distract ourselves a little bit this coming Valentine’s Day by hosting a romantic dinner at home without the crowds – something that’s more normal at least for us as we don’t usually go out to celebrate. Of all holidays, this one seems like the perfect one to spend alone.
If you are also planning a special night in, I joined a group of blogger buddies to share #ValentinesDayCocktails today! And I am here to show how a whiskey sour can indeed be festive with the help of dried butterfly pea flowers and Joyjolt cosmos whiskey glasses.
Which BTW if you don’t have some fun glasses in your cabinet, you should really check out JoyJolt’s selection – you can even get 10% off with my code SPIFFY10.
To make this cocktail purple, I muddled butterfly pea flowers in lemon juice, which turns the color from blue to purple. Then you shake up all the other ingredients and viola! You have this beauty.
I also used aquafaba instead of an egg white to produce a creamy texture and foam on top. Egg white are optional for a whiskey sour but I love the look it gives this classic cocktail, especially when dressed in purple. P.S. aquafaba is just chickpea water – literally the stuff you’ve been tossing every time you open a can.
And that, my friends, is how you make a cocktail vegan ;-).
Valentine’s Day Cocktails
- Tequila Rose Strawberry Shooters from Our Crafty Cocktails
- Pink Flirtini from Family Around The Table
- Champagne Punch For Two from Kate Recipe Box
- Valentine’s Day Cupid’s Cocktail from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Butterfly Pea Whiskey Sour from The Spiffy Cookie
- Date Night Wine Cocktail For Two from Our Good Life
Five years ago: BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza
Eight years ago: Apple Maple Turkey Sliders
Nine years ago: Superbowl XLVI Recipe Roundup
Ten years ago: Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
- Muddle butterfly pea flowers and lemon juice in half of a cocktail shaker (or bottom of a glass) until it turns purple, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the shaker, close with other half, and hard dry shake for 10 seconds. Add ice and hard shake for another 10 seconds.
- Strain into a lowball filled with ice or a coupe without ice.
Source: Adapted slightly from Whiskey Advocate.