The only thing that could make a chewy sugar cookie better is sprinkles!
Did I just share a brown sugar cookie just a week ago? Yes. Did I just add sprinkles to the chewy sugar cookie recipe already available on my blog? Yes. But do they deserve their own post? HECK YES! Is that even a question you would seriously ask me? I know I battle with the fact that people assume my blog is only about desserts or cookies for obvious reasons, so I’m not making a very good case for the savory recipes on my blog by posting more cookie recipes, but they are my favorite thing to make and thus the reason why my blog was named what it is (combined with the fact that spiffy is one of my favorite words). So there’s a little backstory for ya, but now for the cookies!
Sprinkle sugar cookies were my absolute favorite cookie as a child. I am sure many children like me were simply drawn to the unnatural brightness of them due to the rainbow sprinkles. They are like kid bait, how could we resist? So when I was faced with the dilemma of whether or not to add sprinkles to the sugar cookies for the most recent ice cream sandwich collaboration with Indulgence ice cream’s “Cereal Killer”, I was given some wise advice – when it doubt, add sprinkles! I think that needs to be a t-shirt or bumper sticker.
As I mentioned, these cookies were made specifically to be paired with an Indulgence ice cream comprised of you favorite cereals, dubbed Cereal Killer! His flavors are so creative I didn’t want to overpower the ice cream sandwich with a bold cookie so I stuck to a classic sugar cookie. But since this ice cream sandwich was to be features on The Kitchen’s 90’s themed Taco Tuesday menu I just had to add sprinkles. To no one’s surprise (except Dan and I because we are sometimes painfully bashful about our products), they were a huge hit! If you live in Columbus, stay tuned for next month’s feature but in the meantime hit Dan up for an order on Instagram – @IndulgenceIceCream.
Three years ago: Paalak Paneer
Five years ago: Homemade Strawberry Syrup
Six years ago: Therapy Brownies
Eight years ago: Chicken Parmesan Quesadillas
CHEWY SPRINKLE SUGAR COOKIES
Makes approximately 2 dozen
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to almost room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
1 egg, room temperature
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add sprinkles and mix until evenly distributed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Place sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in the sugar, shaking off any excess. Place on prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until edges of cookies are just starting to brown and centers are set. Let cool on sheets for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Adapted slightly from my Chewy Sugar Cookies.