It’s hard to beat your favorite chocolate chip cookie, so instead of trying to create something entirely new, let’s just dress them up with festive M&Ms and chocolate chips!
Whenever I create a “new” chocolate chip cookie I hesitate to share the recipe, because in situations like this, I’ve already shared an M&M version of my favorite chewy chocolate chip cookies. But then I go ahead and share one with festive colored M&Ms and chocolate chips, so here we are. I guess there’s something to be said about giving the people what they want because that original recipe is the #1 recipe on my blog every single day without fail. Granted I wish any other recipe on my site could trend anywhere close to that one after 8 years but I’ll take what I can get.
These cookies may not be innovative but they are festive with red and green M&Ms and even red and green chocolate chips mixed in with the regular guys. I thought about dividing the dough in half, making one side green and the other red, but figured I’d save that for another time. Gotta keep some ideas up my sleeve if I’m going to keep this spiffy cookie train going!
Two years ago: Eggnog Oreo Ice Cream
Four years ago: Eggnog Hot Chocolate Pound Cake
Five years ago: Meyer Lemon Chess Pie
Seven years ago: Pecan Fruit Cake
CHEWY HOLIDAY M&M CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 yolk, room temperature
2 cups holiday M&M’s
1-1/2 holiday chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats (or parchment paper); set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended (1-2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients in three batches until just blended. Fold in the chips by hand.
- Rolls 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball that is slightly taller than wide and place on a plate or tray. Cover tightly and chill for at least 2 hours, but overnight for best results (I’ve refrigerated for up to a week).
- Place cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are barely golden (will look underbaked). Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Source: Adapted slightly from my Chewy M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies.