Chocolate linzer cookies with straight peanut butter in the middle because why the heck not? Bonus points that they look like flattened buckeyes.
Whenever I feel like I am running out of steam for peanut butter and chocolate recipes for #PBchocSat, I consult my list of recipe ideas. I actually have quite a few on there just for peanut butter and chocolate but many of them are alternates of things I have made before (where it was chocolate make peanut butter and vice versa) which isn’t always the most exciting prospect. But just when I think I will have to settle I sometimes think of something I somehow have not yet made before in the last 8 years.
Yes I have made two kinds of linzer cookies on the blog before, but considering the number of variations of other items made over 8 years of blogging, this being the third is a pretty low occurrence. Obviously today brings a peanut butter a chocolate version, specifically in the form of a chocolate linzer cookie stuffed with peanut butter. No not peanut butter frosting, straight peanut butter. Because honestly let’s just skip those extra steps because we’ve all eaten peanut butter straight off the spoon so why not straight on the cookie?
Today marks the second to last game of the normal season (fingers crossed we have more to play). It is an away game at Maryland which if you are familiar with the teams wouldn’t normally seem like a threat, but as I write this I am watching the game about to go into overtime. Yes I slacked a bit and made these cookies a bit last minute but it’s better than never! Hopefully they can manage to pull out a win just in time as well. So excuse me while I go inhale these while anxiously watching the end of the game. GO BUCKS!!
Four years ago: Butternut Squash Casserole
Five years ago: Single Serving Apple Crumble
Six years ago: Homemade Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa Mix
Seven years ago: Pumpkin Kissed Gingerbread Brownies
BUCKEYE LINZER COOKIES
Makes approximately 5 dozen filled cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (or festive sprinkles)
Creamy peanut butter
- To make the cookies: Beat together the butter, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Mix in the nut flour, flour, and egg.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap, and refrigerate for 60 minutes, for easiest rolling. Towards the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll the dough 1/8″ thick. Cut the dough into shapes with large linzer cutters. Use small cutters to cut a design out of the center of half the cookies.
- Transfer the cookies to an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. If using sprinkles, top cookies here before baking.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.
- Lightly dust the cookies with cutout centers with confectioners’ sugar (if not using sprinkles). Spread the solid cookies with 3/4 teaspoon peanut butter. Place a cutout cookie on top of each filled cookie.
Source: Adapted from my Linzer Cookies.
[…] Buckeye Linzer Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie – Chocolate linzer cookies with straight peanut butter in the middle because why the heck not? Bonus points that they look like flattened buckeyes. […]
OMG this is fantastic.
They totally look like flattened buckeyes, LOL. Totally adding this to my game day snack line up!