This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek. While I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies, as always my opinions remain my own and I was not otherwise compensated.
Imagine a sweet cherry pie filling on top of a cheesecake, but instead of a graham crust it’s baked inside of a puffy cushion of supple yeast dough. That is a black cherry cheesecake kolache!
I know I just posted a breakfast stuffed version not too long ago but it seems I cannot help but come up with new kolache varieties to share with you. So far they have all been savory but in light of it being #SummerDessertWeek it was time to turn to the sweet side. With a big bag of black cherries that happened to be on sale (hooray seasonal summer fruit) I went to work.
Strangely, despite the fact that kolaches are often filled with sweet cream cheese and my obsession with all creations involving cream cheese, I originally didn’t plan on adding a cream cheese filling to these kolaches. Thankfully I realized how silly this was and halfway through the recipe whipped some up (because I always have cream cheese in stock). The end result tastes like a black cherry cheesecake stuffed inside the best damn dough ever.
As for the rest of my fellow #SummerDessertWeek bloggers, make sure you check out their recipe contributions today listed below the following photo. Some more will continue on tomorrow but then that’s it! Which means time is running out to enter the giveaway if you have not already done so. Just find the widget located at the end of this post. Good luck!
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- White Chocolate Espresso Cake with Caramel Espresso Buttercream from The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine
- Bee Sting Cake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Coffee Cake from A Blender Mom
- Tropical Summer Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Banana Pudding No Bake Cheesecake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Strawberry Cloud Dessert from Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Cherry Kolaches from The Spiffy Cookie
- Blackberry Bread Pudding from Eat Move Make
- White Cake with Vanilla Cherry Buttercream Icing from The Beard and The Baker
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Mildly Meandering
- Cherry Sweet Rolls from Comfortably Domestic
- Watermelon Slushies from The Domestic Kitchen
Two years ago: Mexican Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Four years ago: Blackberry Basil Sparkler
Six years ago: Banana Ice Cream Nutella Sandwiches
BLACK CHERRY CHEESECAKE KOLACHES
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups scalded milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 tsp Adams Extract twice as strong vanilla
1 (1/4 oz.) pkg. Red Star active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
Melted butter, for brushing
2 cups fresh black cherries, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp Adams Extract imitation cherry (or vanilla)
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together. Stir in salt, hot milk, beaten egg yolks, and vanilla extract. When lukewarm, add yeast to mixture. Let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Add flour, beating well. Knead down into bowl. The dough will be slightly sticky. Cover with a damp towel and let rise 1 hour.
- Meanwhile in a medium pot add all the cherry filling ingredients and stir to coat. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until glossy and thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl add all the cream cheese filling ingredients. Beat until fully incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a 10×15-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 15 pieces and roll into rounds in your hands. Place on baking sheet 1-inch apart and let rise 15 minutes.
- Make a depression into the center of each roll and fill with a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese and cherry filling. Bake for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until browned. Remove from oven, brush immediately with butter, and cool on wire racks.
Source: Adapted from my Caramelized Apple & Onion Kolaches.
Welcome to the 2nd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This sweet week-long event is filled with fun dessert recipes from amazing bloggers and some great giveaways from our generous sponsors! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with y’all and celebrate summertime sweets all week long!
There are 23 wonderful bloggers participating in this year’s event! With over 60 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week too!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – One bottle of Adams Best Vanilla Flavor, Adams Best Prize Winning Pound Cake Mix, Adams Extract Twice as Stong Vanilla and Adams Extract Lemon Extract
Prize #3– Red Star Yeast is giving away a gift pack including an Insulated Tote Bag, Apron, “The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” Cookbook, Printed recipe ebook, Yeast (three 3-strips of Platinum), French Rolling Pin, Measuring Spoons, Bench Scraper/ Dough Cutter, Dough Whisk, Oven Mitt and Kitchen Towel
Prize #4 — Susquehanna Glass Co. is giving away one set (4 glasses) of Mermaids Stemless Wine Glasses. (like the Mermaid glasses you’ll see in some of our recipes this week!)
Prize #5 — Lodge Cast Iron is giving away one (1) 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. No PO Boxes Please. giveaway runs from July 9th until July 15th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Red Star Yeast, Susquehanna Glass Co. and Lodge Cast Iron! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.