Two cookies in one is always the way to go especially when it’s a chocolate cookie speckled with semisweet and white chocolate chips, pistachios, and stuffed with an Oreo cookie!
Sorry for another week of silence. This time it was first due to having too much fun with my friend Maggie who visited the weekend before last and thus not prepping any recipes for the beginning of the week. But then I acquired some kind of viral head sickness that put me down for the second half of the week and weekend. As I write this (Sunday night), I am still congested but the kind of stuffy when you are almost back to normal.
Thankfully it seems Bob managed not to contract the same illness, especially since it was his 34th birthday on Saturday! He’s not really into celebrating his birthday however, most of the time the only reason we do anything is because I plan it, because I love birthdays. But after he proposed to me on his birthday last year I was at a loss as to what to do, besides the fact that I wasn’t exactly full of energy due to being sick. Our usual plan is to dine out at one of the restaurants participating in Restaurant Week because it always lands on his birthday week, but it’s this week instead. Blasphemy!
So on Friday when I was banished to stay at home from work another day, to battle boredom and find inspiration for a birthday treat I ventured to the grocery store. One thing Bob loves is Oreo desserts, so I ventured to the cookie aisle and was about to grab a regular ::cough knock off:: bag of cookies when I saw a new Oreo thin flavor – pistachio! Bob can put away some pistachios so it was an easy decision to grab those instead. And since it’s been awhile since I stuffed an Oreo inside of a cookie so that’s how I ended up with these semisweet and white chocolate chip pistachio cookies. Great story, I know.
Two years ago: Breakfast Frozen Yogurt Parfait Popsicles
Three years ago: Mango Lassi Cocktail
Four years ago: SPAM Tacos
Six years ago: German Chocolate S’mores Gooey Cake Bars
PISTACHIO OREO STUFFED DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes approximately 20 cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 yolk, room temperature
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped roasted pistachios
20 Oreo thins with pistachio creme filling
Coarse sea salt, optional
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients in three batches until just blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, roll a scant 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place on a plate or tray. Sandwich two dough balls around one Oreo and push together to seal the edges. Return to tray and top with coarse salt if using. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cover tightly and chill for at least 2 hours, overnight for best results (can refrigerate up to one week).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats (or parchment paper); set aside.
- Place cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes (will look underbaked). Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Source: Adapted slightly from my Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.