Who needs frosting when you can have cheesecake filling? These dark chocolate hazelnut cupcakes are stuffed with raspberry cream cheese deliciousness.
Another wonderful #cabinlife weekend has come and gone and wish it could have been more than just a weekend, although we did extend it to a 3 day weekend this time. As per usual before departing we all gathered for one last meal in town. But upon arrival, after being disconnected from the world all weekend, we learned of the horrifying event that occurred in Orlando this weekend. The hatred demonstrated by such an act is heartbreaking and makes my faith in humanity waiver.
In light of this event I thought about changing today’s recipe to something heart shaped and rainbow colored as a food-related way to express “more love, less hate” but decided to stick with these cupcakes as they are one of the treats I brought to the cabin this weekend to share with my friends. Not that baking can fix anything that happened in Orlando but it’s my way of spreading the love. And these cupcakes are a marriage of fruit and chocolate, or more specifically raspberry cheesecake and dark chocolate hazelnut cupcakes.
I made these beauties with Peanut Butter & Co’s new dark chocolate hazelnut spread called Chocmeister! Enter to win your own jar to try out using the widget located at the bottom of this post. Don’t want tot leave it up to chance? Use coupon code “Chocolatey” to get $1 off a jar now through July 31, 2016. Order HERE.
Two years ago: Eggplant Parmesan with Parsley Orzo
Three years ago: Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond Granola Bars
RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE STUFFED DARK CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT CUPCAKES
Makes about 2 dozen
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
Red food coloring (optional)
Raspberries, for topping
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Chocmeister dark chocolate hazelnut spread
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two regular cupcake pans with paper cups, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Stir in the preserves (and dye if using) until incorporated. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add chocolate hazelnut spread and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk and flour mixture in two alternating batches and stir until just mixed.
- Fill each muffin cup one-third full with the chocolate batter. Top with a spoonful of cream cheese mixture, until the cups are about two-thirds full. Bake 22-28 minutes, or until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Top with raspberries and serve. (Store any leftovers in the fridge.)
Disclosure: As a part of the Yum Squad, I was provided with a complimentary jar of Chocmeister by Peanut Butter & Co. I was not otherwise compensated. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.