Dark chocolate peanut butter cupcakes with dark chocolate peanut butter frosting. As dangerous as they sound especially in the deceptively innocent mini size.
Last year during football season I made white chocolate peanut butter mini cupcakes and they were super addictive. Since today is National Chocolate Cupcake Day I decided to revisit that recipe using dark chocolate peanut butter. It’s the dark-side equivalent of the more innocent looking white chocolate peanut butter cupcakes, but equally as sinful. That’s why I made them minis so you can eat 4 or 5 of them without feeling guilty. Oh the deception!
One year ago: Horror Show Pistachio Zombie Cupcakes
Two years ago: Review: Baking for Friends
Three years ago: Homemade Potato Knishes by Overtime Cook
DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES
Makes about 1 dozen regular or 3 dozen mini
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 to 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one regular cupcake pan or 3 mini pans with paper cups, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add peanut butter and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk and flour mixture in two alternating batches and stir until just mixed.
- Fill prepared cups 3/4 to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes for regular cupcakes, or 15-20 for mini cupcakes, or until they spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add sugar and heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar or cream to reach desired consistency. Spread or pipe on top of cooled cupcakes.
Source: Adapted slightly from my White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes.