Sweet meets salty in this salted caramel ice cream pie. No-churn salted caramel is set in a no-bake pretzel crust. Go ahead and top it off with some caramel sauce!
The kick off of Ice Cream Week just so happens to land on National Ice Cream Pie Day and obviously I took the opportunity to make an ice cream pie. A salted caramel ice cream pie complete with a pretzel crust.
I know that dulce de leche technically is not caramel but it does have a caramelized flavor. I have recently become obsessed with no-churn ice cream and since it is made with sweetened condensed milk I decided that dulce de leche was the perfect choice for making a caramel-like no-churn ice cream. After all, you can make dulce de leche by cooking sweetened condensed milk while it’s still in the can. And this ice cream pie tasted pretty darn good to me!
Make sure you swing by for a scoop from each of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Fleck Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Buster Bars by The Life and Loves on Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Hezzi-d’s Books and Cooks
- “Fried” Ice Cream Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Mint Chip Ice Cream by Crumb
- S’mores Ice Cream Pie by Love and Confections
- How to Make an Ice Cream Pie at Home by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gluten Free Sandwich Cookie Ice Cream Pie by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake by Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pie by The Messy Baker
- Majarete (Dominican Corn Pudding) Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
- Dirty Girl Scout Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Other Blogs participating later this week:
Special Guest for the Week is Lindsay Clendaniel of the blog, Scoop Adventures. We’re very excited to have her join us. Lindsay is the author of Scoop Adventures which is chock full of ice cream goodness.
One year ago: Strawberry-Banana Colada Smoothie
Three years ago: Tomato-Basil Eggs Alfredo in Bread Baskets
SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM PIE
1-1/4 cups crushed salted pretzels
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup dulce de leche, store-bought or homemade
1/2 tsp sea salt
- For the crust: Pulse pretzels in a food processor until finely ground. In a medium bowl, combine pretzels, butter, and brown sugar and mix well. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the filling: In a cold, medium bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in Greek yogurt, dulce de leche, and salt.
- Spread the filling evenly into the chilled crust. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with additional pretzels, caramel sauce, and whipped cream if desired.
Source: Crust from Cooking Channel. Filling adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.
Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. Break out those stretchy pants and celebrate Ice Cream Week with us
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
1 Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Enter to win using the Rafflecopter widget located at the end of this post!
I’m a big fan of cookies & creme!
Caramel in anything is a winner for me!
My favorite ice cream varies. We have a local ice cream shop that I’ve been visiting since I can remember. Now, it’s my children’s favorite treat spot. They make several seasonal varieties – my current favorite is eggnog, but I have to wait until thanksgiving to taste it again!!
Caramel and pretzels go together so well. It’s a rather unexpected and underutilized pairing, but an awesome one!
I’d have to say my favorite flavor ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip, Real Vanilla, Mocha Almond Fudge, Coffee and Butter Pecan!!!
You’re so smart to use the dulce de leche!!! This pie is so perfectly salty and sweet in every way-the pretzel crust is GENIUS
Oh em geee!!! You had me at Salted Caramel, but I bet that pretzel crust makes it even better!! No churn, caramel, and pretzels!! This is winner for sure! Thanks for sharing this yumminess!
Mint chocolate chip!
Chocolate chip cookie dough!
Pistachio! or vanilla fudge swirl…
My favorite ice cream flavor? Anything caramel!
Blueberry ice cream
Wow girl! Your really know how to make ice cream week start!! Love this pie!!
I love the genius mind that thought up salted caramel. Just absolutely amazing!
Oh, my gosh, I need to make this pie or at least the pie filling ASAP! LOVE it!!!
I love that you used pretzels in the crust of this beauty! It was the perfect choice!
Salted Caramel is a weakness of mine. I LOVE it. I love the salty sweet combination and this pie would totally not last in my house.
I’m just betting this is pretty amazing, Erin! All this ice cream this week is going to do me in!
Wow! Can you just send this pie on over to my house?
If it wouldn’t melt, I’d gladly send some your way!
Salted caramel is my favorite! I could sure go for a slice of that ice cream pie right about now :)
This is seriously the best ice cream pie ever! You have done National Ice Cream Day right, and I can’t wait to see what else is in store!