Sweet meets salty in this salted caramel ice cream pie. No-churn salted caramel is set in a no-bake pretzel crust. Go ahead and top it off with some caramel sauce!
The kick off of Ice Cream Week just so happens to land on National Ice Cream Pie Day and obviously I took the opportunity to make an ice cream pie. A salted caramel ice cream pie complete with a pretzel crust.
I know that dulce de leche technically is not caramel but it does have a caramelized flavor. I have recently become obsessed with no-churn ice cream and since it is made with sweetened condensed milk I decided that dulce de leche was the perfect choice for making a caramel-like no-churn ice cream. After all, you can make dulce de leche by cooking sweetened condensed milk while it’s still in the can. And this ice cream pie tasted pretty darn good to me!
Make sure you swing by for a scoop from each of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Fleck Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Buster Bars by The Life and Loves on Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Hezzi-d’s Books and Cooks
- “Fried” Ice Cream Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Mint Chip Ice Cream by Crumb
- S’mores Ice Cream Pie by Love and Confections
- How to Make an Ice Cream Pie at Home by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gluten Free Sandwich Cookie Ice Cream Pie by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake by Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pie by The Messy Baker
- Majarete (Dominican Corn Pudding) Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
- Dirty Girl Scout Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Other Blogs participating later this week:
Special Guest for the Week is Lindsay Clendaniel of the blog, Scoop Adventures. We’re very excited to have her join us. Lindsay is the author of Scoop Adventures which is chock full of ice cream goodness.
One year ago: Strawberry-Banana Colada Smoothie
Three years ago: Tomato-Basil Eggs Alfredo in Bread Baskets
SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM PIE
1-1/4 cups crushed salted pretzels
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup dulce de leche, store-bought or homemade
1/2 tsp sea salt
- For the crust: Pulse pretzels in a food processor until finely ground. In a medium bowl, combine pretzels, butter, and brown sugar and mix well. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the filling: In a cold, medium bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in Greek yogurt, dulce de leche, and salt.
- Spread the filling evenly into the chilled crust. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with additional pretzels, caramel sauce, and whipped cream if desired.
Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. Break out those stretchy pants and celebrate Ice Cream Week with us
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Enter to win using the Rafflecopter widget located at the end of this post!