You can make Oreo truffles out of any of the different flavors of Oreo. Try this caramel apple version, dipped in chocolate to resemble an actual caramel apple.
Happy Halloween! It seems fitting that today is also caramel apple day and since Oreo was thoughtful enough to make a caramel apple creme golden Oreo I went ahead and made truffles out of them. I even dipped them in green and light brown chocolate candy coating to resemble a caramel dipped apple on a stick. Or a green buckeye depending on how you look at it.
Three years ago: Root Beer Sloppy Joes
CARAMEL APPLE OREO TRUFFLES
Makes approximately 3 dozen
6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 (12.2 oz.) pkg Caramel Apple flavored creme OREO cookies
3 dozen lollipop sticks
3/4 lb. (12 oz.) green chocolate candy coating + 1/2 Tbsp shortening, melted over double-broiler
1/2 lb. tan chocolate candy coating + 1/2 Tbsp shortening, melted over double-boiler
- Finely crush cookies in a food processor (or place in a ziplock bag) and mix in cream cheese until well blended.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Insert a lollipop stick into the center of each and then place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Dip in melted green chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; place back on sheet. Set aside to harden.
- Once hardened, dip halfway into the tan chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; place back on sheet.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
Source: Adapted from my Oreo Truffles.