These veggie black beans burgers are far for bland or boring with corn and jalapeno mixed in and avocado on top!
If you follow Steph’s Bite by Bite you know that she is hosting Fit-Ober and a 24 day AdvoCare challenge. Although I am not participating in those specific challenges, I did purchase the AdvoCare 10 day herbal cleanse after being lured in by the amazing results Steph has already been seeing.
My day one belly looks similar to Steph’s (we’re the same weight too) so we shall see how it goes! Although I have to admit, reading the guidelines about eating 8 cups of veggies/fruit a day, at least 8 cups of water, only whole grains, little to no fat, and no processed sugar makes me wonder how much the cleanse is doing versus the healthy eating.
I eat pretty healthy already but need to work on eating more veggies, less fat and no sugar (goodbye cookies fort 10 days = sadness). Either way, if I am a bit leaner in time for being a bridesmaid in Amber’s wedding this weekend I’ll be a happy camper.
Speaking of healthier eating, how about a veggie burger? When it comes to meatless burgers, black bean is typically the first kind people think of. Yet, for some reason I shied away from this version and tried every other kind first. I have no legitimate reason for this other than it simply did not appeal to me.
But that all changed when this burger came into my life. It should come as no surprise that part of the reason this burger was so appealing to me was the addition of avocado slices on top. But I also liked that jalapeno and corn were mixed into the patty as well.
I made these burgers before the cleanse began, but to meet the guidelines given by AdvoCare I should have substituted the oil with broth, the bun for whole wheat (although I normally do), and the fries for veggies. Next time ;-). (When this post was updated I served these with Baked Zucchini Fries.)
One year ago: Mini Pink Ombre Sugar Cookie Cake
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 1-1/2 Tbsp water, let sit for 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup corn (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
- Olive oil (or canola oil)
- 3 burger buns, toasted
- Avocado slices, lettuce, sriracha and ketchup, for topping
- In a food processor (or blender) add jalapeno and the garlic and process until finely minced.
- Add half the can of beans and pulse to combine. Add cumin and salt and pulse until it resembles chunky black bean dip.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, flax mixture, corn, and remaining black beans. Stir well until combined. Form into 3 patties.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Fry patties for about 4 minutes per side, or until golden and crusty brown.
- Serve on toasted buns with avocado slices, lettuce, sriracha, and ketchup.
Source: Halved from Eat, Live, Run.
Post updated 4/22/20, photos above and below are the originals (served with brown sugar baked fries).
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!