Happy National Peanut Butter Cookie Day! Today I bring to you a soft peanut butter cookie made with cream cheese dipped in white chocolate. But it gets even better, because I made these with Zulka’s Morena Pure Cane Sugar. Yay for unrefined goodness!
Zulka Pure Cane Sugar is real, unrefined granulated Morena (does not undergo conventional refining processes) sugar made from freshly harvested sugar cane that is a better-tasting and less-processed cup-for-cup replacement for refined white sugar. You really won’t be able to taste the difference in your baked goods. This is because the natural properties of the sugar cane plant are preserved, while retaining a flavor profile that’s as close to fresh sugar cane as possible, making it a better alternative to white sugar for baking, cooking and beverage recipes as well as all other everyday sugar uses.
I substituted this sugar for refined sugar in Flourless Black Bean Brownies and Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Truffles, and I did not notice the difference which is amazing since I am usually very sensitive to the flavors of alternative sugars. This remained true in these cream cheese peanut butter cookies I am sharing today! Even my boss was impressed by these cookies and said, “You’re killing me, I’m not supposed to like peanut butter!” as he waved his second cookie of the day at me. Probably the best compliment you can get is converting a person who doesn’t normally like something.
As a result, I am excited to continue using this sugar in future baked goods. Want to get your hands on some Zulka Pure Cane Sugar? Find it at major retailers nationwide, including Walmart, Safeway, Sam’s Club, Albertsons, Kroger, SuperValu, Food 4 Less, Superior, Winn-Dixie, El Super Winco and many others. Hopefully it is available at one of those near me for when I run out!
CREAM CHEESE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES DIPPED IN WHITE CHOCOLATE
Makes 3 dozen cookies
3 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar (I used Zulka Pure Cane Sugar)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and peanut butter together until smooth. With the mixer on low, add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined. Add vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar, beating until all incorporated. Add flour and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Scoop cookie dough into rounds and place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Smash cookie dough balls cross-wise with a large tined fork. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies just start to brown. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheets and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Line baking sheets with wax paper. In a double boiler, melt the candy coating according to package directions. Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Place on wax paper lined baking sheet and top with sprinkles, if using. Allow to harden at room temperature, or speed up by placing in the refrigerator.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Source: Adapted slightly from Miss in the Kitchen.
Disclosure: I was provided with complimentary product from Zulka. I was not compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.