Fresh blueberries are literally bursting from these cookies and can be made with or without an icing on top.
Emma brought these into lab the other week as leftovers from her committee meeting (I too like to bribe my committee members with baked goods) and I absolutely had to have the recipe. I found out that it’s the same recipe she used for her cranberry cookies at Christmas, but with blueberries instead. Crazy how much different they taste, I would’ve never guessed.
Fruit in a cookie other than raisins was kind of a new concept to me as well. But it was like eating a more dense version of a blueberry muffin – Yum! Do you have a favorite fruit-cookie?
P.S. They also happen to make wonderful ice cream sandwiches (pictured with Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Swirl from Indulgence Ice Cream – Columbus, OH)
Makes approximately 2 dozen
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp orange juice (I used Pineapple-Mango)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries, frozen
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place silpats on cookie sheets.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together 1 stick butter and sugars. Blend in egg, milk, and orange juice until just incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Spoon heaping teaspoon sized balls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are cool, cream the 1/2 stick butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together. Add more milk or powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of icing onto each cookie and spread to coat the surface. Allow to set before serving.
Source: Adapted from Emma, friend of The Spiffy Cookie.
Post updated 4/27/18, picture above is the original.
oh nom nom nom! what a good idea! now i’m craving a blueberry muffin from home…. too bad I’m stuck in the library, maybe i will make these as a midnight snack attack when I get back!
Holy yum! This has to be in my blueberry kick this year!
Oh yes, they are fabulous
What a delicious idea for a cookie. They look totally lovely and tasty. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html
Ooh…!!! I love the idea of a blueberry muffin-like cookie. That icing totally makes it!