This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Change up your classic banana bread with the addition of fresh blueberries and cinnamon-sugar! Good for breakfast or dessert.
Day 3 of #SummerDessertWeek is here! You may scold me for posting a banana bread during a week celebrating all things dessert but it was fantastic and I would totally eat it for dessert. Put a little whipped cream on top – now we’re talking! I also added blueberries and some cinnamon-sugar to literally sweeten the deal for you.
But before I talk about this recipe, last night was the Twitter chat for this event where we talked about favorites, dislikes, and everything you can think of related to summer desserts. I learned that in some places of the country, putting salt on watermelon is a thing. Some wondered if it was a Southern thing but I not once experienced this phenomenon while living in TN for 8 years. Maybe it’s a east coast Southern thing? IDK have you guys ever heard of this?
Either way, before I judged I had to try it especially since I happened to have some watermelon in my fridge at that very moment. I was warned to only add a little bit, but I couldn’t really taste it so I poured on some more! It tasted like salty watermelon which wasn’t bad and possibly worth a revisit but I think I’ll stick to straight watermelon rather than ingesting more salt that necessary. Would you try it?
Speaking of trying new things, have you ever added other fruits to your banana bread? It seems unnecessary but at the same time could never be a bad idea and sure enough blueberries makes for a great addition. And then I added cinnamon sugar both as a layer in the middle and a coating on top. I love when something so simple makes things extra special.
Please remember to check out the other amazing recipes shared today by all the bloggers participating in this week’s events listed below. And you absolutely don’t want to miss out on the big giveaway for the event! Click here to see what’s at stake.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
Pies of Summer:
- Mini Blueberry Pie from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie from Daily Dish Recipes
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- Cookies & Cream Mini Bundt Cakes from Me and My Pink Mixer
- Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Layered Strawberry Shortcake from Southern From Scratch
No Bake Treats:
- Blueberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from Home Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Caramel Heath Ricotta Cheesecake Bars from The Whimsy One
- Banana Pudding Cake from A Blender Mom
- Blueberry French Toast Shortcakes from For the Love of Food
- Apple Dumplings from Jen Around the World
- Cinnamon Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread from The Spiffy Cookie
- Blueberry Cobbler from Bowl Me Over
Four years ago: Review: The No-Cook, No-Bake Cookbook
Six years ago: Peanut Butter French Toast with Chocolate Syrup
CINNAMON-SUGAR BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
Makes 1 loaf
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
4 Tbsp Land O’Lakes unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp Adam’s vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or white whole wheat)
1 cup Rainier Fruit blueberries, tossed in 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Adam’s Extract Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas with melted butter and sugars. Mix well. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sprinkle in salt, baking soda and flour. Then, gently fold in the blueberries. Be careful not to overmix!
- Pour half of the batter into the pan, and sprinkle with a layer of cinnamon-sugar. Evenly spread the remainder of the batter and sprinkle top with more cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour until golden or when a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
Source: Adapted from my Banana Peanut Butter Cup Muffins.