You’re not sick of peanut butter yet are you? There has been quite a lovely string of peanut butter recipes posted on here and surprisingly it wasn’t all my doing! I have my absolutely fabulous guest posters to thank for pumping up the peanut butter level. Did you enjoy having them around as much as I did? I hope that you found a few more food bloggers to follow if you weren’t already. Thanks again Shannon, Tara and Sharana – you were all fabulous!
But in case you are a bit tired of the completely unintentional peanut butter binge (I promise it was totally not on purpose – which makes it that much more wonderful) I will first think you are totally strange, but will then tell you that this recipe today offers a slight change by turning things over to the savory side.
For some reason I’ve put off making pad thai for awhile, mistakenly thinking it would be a bit of a pain both in buying the ingredients and actually producing the dish. Oh but I am so glad I was wrong. In fact the only things I had to buy were limes, cilantro and scallions. The rest I already had stocked up and ready to go! Chicken? Check. Linguine noodles? Double-checked. Peanut butter? …I’m not answering that one for you… And the end result was pure delicious-ness.
CHICKEN PAD THAI
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into small pieces
5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
8 oz. wide, flat, linguine-style noodles (I used whole-wheat)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 bunch scallions thinly sliced
2 large eggs, light beaten
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- Marinate chicken with 1/4 cup soy sauce and 3 cloves of garlic overnight or at least four hours.
- Cook chicken over medium heat until cooked through. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, peanut butter, and remaining soy sauce.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining garlic and scallions, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add eggs, stirring gently and constantly, until scrambled.
- Add noodles and sauce to skillet, and toss until coated. Add chicken and continue to toss.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro, peanuts, and lime wedges.
Source: Adapted slightly from Blog is the New Black.