While I was away, I hope you enjoyed the delicious guest posts from Jessica and Lauren. Thank you so much ladies! Where was I, you ask? Destin, FL where I spent too much time on the beach and also finished my scuba diving certification! Hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with it over the years. It’s a really fun (yet expensive) activity.
Upon my return last night, going through my Google reader (which was ridiculous after not looking at it for 4 days) I noticed that more than one other person had posted a chicken gyro recipe, which I am also posting today. So it may not be the most exciting new thing in your face this week, but seriously it’s the best thing I’ve made this month – hands down.
It’s even wrapped up in a homemade whole wheat pita! (Post tomorrow.)
1.25 lbs. chicken breasts, sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Tzatziki Sauce (below)
Sliced red onions
Crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub the marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, and then add to pan and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Top the pita with the chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and feta. Roll up and eat!
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp dried dill
- Place the cucumber in paper towels and squeeze as much excess moisture as possible.
- Place the squeezed cucumber in a medium bowl and add the Greek yogurt, salt, lemon juice, red wine vinegar garlic, and dill. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.