These blueberry cardamom ricotta muffins are secretly also made with whole wheat flour and honey for a muffin that’s just a bit more nutritious and not too sweet.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These silly delicious muffins have been on my list of things to make since a foodie friend posted a photo of his version back in peak 2020 quarantine-baking. I’m not entirely sure why I waited so long (maybe it’s the existence of recipes for sourdough-, dark chocolate-, lime-, blackberry-blueberry muffins already on the blog) but after a serious blueberry haul from our garden it was time.
Even better that it fits right in with #FarmersMarketWeek ! While I already admitted to using blueberries from my garden, you obviously could get them from your local market if you aren’t lucky enough to have your own blueberry bushes.
Despite living in an urban area with a tiny backyard, it packs a punch with how much produce we are able to grow ourselves in a confined space. But since I don’t have a large yard, I can’t grow everything. I therefore love that I am also walking distance from the Farmers Market to grab whatever I can’t/don’t grow myself.
Welcome to Farmers Market Week! This is the week we celebrate all things found at the Farmers Market. There are over fifteen bloggers sharing over 50 recipes this week. From drinks and desserts to entrees and sides, there’s something for everyone this week.
Monday Farmers Market Recipes
- Asparagus Frittata with Cherry Tomatoes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Bhaingan Bharta from Magical Ingredients
- Cheddar Tomato Tart from Jen Around the World
- Easy 2 Ingredient Lemon Salt from Family Around the Table
- Easy Cowboy Caviar Recipe from Blogghetti
- Greek Stuffed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japchae (Korean Glass Noodles) from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mexican Street Corn Elote Bowls from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Spinach Feta Quiche from Art of Natural Living
- Blackberry Cornmeal Cobbler from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Peach Liège Waffles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Pecan Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- White Chocolate Raspberry Scones from Red Cottage Chronicles
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup turbinado or coarse sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the olive oil, honey, and vanilla until homogenized. Add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese and beat until creamy. Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Mix on low-speed until just combined, but mixed. Fold in the blueberries
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin liners and top with coarse sugar, if using. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.