These fluffy blood orange ricotta cookies are topped with a blood orange icing and finished with sprinkles to seal in that smile in cookie form.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I have a confession that might make Bob’s family disown me – I think almost all of the cookies found on an Italian cookie table taste the same… and I don’t like them. At most they taste like almond but otherwise they are crunchy, not very sweet, bland cookies. Except for the rainbow layer cookies which are my favorites (especially white chocolate covered ones).
Apart from all the crunchy varieties, there is a softer cookie that sometimes makes an appearance – ricotta cookies.
Oddly enough, even though I am not a cakey cookie fan (chewy FTW), cookies like these ricotta cookies, the orange carrot cookies from Bob’s family recipe box, and rainbow cookies are some of the few Italian cookies I like. Sadly, in my experience they are not normally found on the famed cookie table.
I hope for everyone else’s sake that is not the case, especially because this blood orange version is quite exceptional. Think of an orange Lofthouse cookie, but a little taller and way better (IMO).
The zest of the blood orange is in the cookie dough alone with the full fat ricotta. Don’t skimp out on me, if you want soft but still slightly chewy cookies, fat is key. Then the blood orange juice is what makes the icing so pretty in pink. Literally no food coloring, unless you finish them off with some sprinkles. And in the spirit of spring why not literally sprinkle some more joy onto these pretty little things?
Big shout out to our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors that made this recipe possible: Dixie Crystals granulated pure cane sugar, Anolon cookie sheet with silicone grips, Melissa’s Produce blood oranges, Sweets & Treats sprinkles, and Taylor & Colledge vanilla bean paste.
Check out the other recipes shared today for #SpringSweetsWeek listed below and also don’t forget to enter to win some swag from our sponsors by using the Rafflecopter widget located at the end of this post.
Wednesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Blood Orange Cheesecake Pastries from Daily Dish Recipes
- Cadbury Egg Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Coconut Lime Shortbread from Shockingly Delicious
- Easter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bites from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Easy Strawberry Fool from Red Cottage Chronicles
- Grape Sorbet from Family Around the Table
- Grapefruit Yogurt Loaf Cake from Sweet Beginnings
- Key Lime Tassie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Kumquat Oatmeal Cookies from Eat Move Make
- Lemon Funfetti Baked Donuts from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Mango Cream with Berries from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mango FIlled Martabak Manis from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Meringue Nests with Fruit Curd from Art of Natural Living
- Oatmeal Carrot Halwa Ice Cream Sandwich from Magical Ingredients
- Soft Batch Sprinkle Cookies from Blogghetti
- Strawberries and Cream Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Strawberry Key Lime Milkshakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Strawberry Pretzel Parfait from Cookaholic Wife
- Tangerine Ginger Tartlets from That Recipe
- Triple Berry Slab Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
We share recipes from #SpringSweetsWeek on Pinterest! Make sure you follow the board to see all the delicious recipes shared this week.
One year ago: Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Two yeas ago: Carrot Cake Pecan Pie
Four years ago: Pork Chop Parmesan
Five years ago: Oreo Cheesecake Fruit Dip
Six years ago: Lemon Coconut Cake with Blueberry Frosting
Seven years ago: Sourdough Blueberry Muffins
Eight years ago: Whole Wheat Scone for One
Ten years ago: Banana Bread French Toast
Eleven years ago: Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 15 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- Zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Juice of 2 blood oranges
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside/
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, ricotta cheese, and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Add half the flour mixture and mix until combined. Repeat with the second half until a soft dough forms. Use a medium cookie scoop to roll into golf ball sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool 5 minutes on the pans before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract. Add orange juice a little at a time until you reach desired consistency (I prefer mine a bit less firm).
- Spread glaze over the cooled cookies (or dip tops into the glaze) and top with sprinkles, if using. Let set until firm.
Source: Adapted from In Katrina’s Kitchen.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIEa Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Anolon, Sweets & Treats, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor and Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.