Change up your nachos for St. Patrick’s Day with these Irish-inspired Corned Beef Nachos, made with waffle fries and topped with shredded cabbage and a beer cheese sauce.
Who else loves nachos? Well, prepare yourself for nachos that are nothing like what you are used to. Sorry, no avocados here.
When I first set out to make these Irish-inspired nachos for the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day, I intended to use tortilla chips as one does to make nachos. But then it occurred to me – wouldn’t it be better made with potato? Enter waffle fries, which when nice and crispy perform the same vehicle functions as a tortilla chip.
So what else did I change up from your “traditional” nachos?
Anatomy of Corned Beef Nachos:
- Obviously corned beef
- Broccoli cabbage slaw blend (but you could just do regular shredded cabbage)
- Waffle fries
- Homemade beer cheese sauce
- More shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions
To make them, while the waffle fries are getting nice and crispy in the oven, whip up the beer cheese sauce. They should be done around the same time and then all you have to do is assemble and eat.
I will say, you will have some beer cheese sauce leftover, but I am fairly certain that won’t be a problem. It would go great with my Guinness Soft Pretzels too!
One year ago: How to Regrow Green Onions #ScienceSundays
Three years ago: Matcha Rice Crispy Treats
Six years ago: Salted Caramel Double Chocolate Stout Cookies
Eight years ago: St. Patrick’s Day Recipe Roundup (2014)
Nine years ago: Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Pie
Ten years ago: Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza
Eleven years ago: Apple Harvest Oatmeal
- 1 bag frozen waffle fries
- 1/2 lb. cooked and shredded corned beef
- 1/2 cup shredded broccoli cabbage slaw mix
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 scallion greens, sliced
BEER CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light beer, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare the waffle fries according to directions on package.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until a tan color and smells nutty, about 1 minute.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly pour in the milk. Continue whisking until it thickened, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beer, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. In batches, whisk in the cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
- When the fries are done, arrange fries on a platter, top with corned beef, cabbage mix, shredded cheese, and cheese sauce. Garnish with green onion and serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from Girl Carnivore and Sally’s Baking Addiction.
When do you add the beer? Missing in the directions! (CORNED BEEF NACHOS WITH BEER CHEESE SAUCE)
My apologies, add it with the Worcestershire sauce. I have edited the directions as well, thank you for pointing this out to me.