This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FireUpTheGrill #CollectiveBias
Fire up the grill this summer with Kraft and one of their 8 new BBQ sauce flavors. The thick & smokey sauce was perfect in and on top of these black bean and quinoa veggie burgers.
Although I was a very picky eater throughout my younger years, I do not recall a time that I did not enjoy BBQ. It may be surprising but growing up in Rochester, NY was not without a fair selection of delicious BBQ. However my fanatical status did not hold a strong grip until living in Memphis, TN for 7 years – being a city that lived and breathed BBQ. After experiencing everything from BBQ nachos to BBQ pizza I have become much more creative with BBQ and my uses for BBQ sauce. And as you can imagine my craving for BBQ drastically increases during the summer, being a busy time of year filled with backyard get-togethers, BBQ’s, family gatherings, etc.
Of course after drinking the kool-aid I am biased towards certain BBQ sauces from my favorite restaurants but I still enjoy trying out new varieties when I spot them. On my most recent trip to Walmart I spotted Kraft’s new BBQ sauce line, containing no high fructose corn syrup, and comes in 8 new flavors. I decided to try the thick & spicy because what’s not to love about those descriptors? With it I made black bean-quinoa veggie burgers topped with kale chips and served with a Walmart Marketside premium romaine side salad and Kraft cheesy jalapeno ranch dressing.
These nutritious and better-for-you veggie burgers pack a lot of flavor. Wholesome quinoa and black beans make up the base of the patties with the addition of ground up sunflower seeds to create a crunchy exterior. Then there’s chopped red onion, shredded cheddar cheese, and BBQ sauce to seal the deal. To prove that these burgers can truly stand alone, I didn’t even bother serving them on a bun. Instead they were topped with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, red onion, and homemade kale chips. Grab a fork and dig in!
Do you have a favorite BBQ recipe? Share it with me in the comments section below! Or do you neeed more BBQ inspiration? Be sure to check out more delicious grilling recipes at Kraft.com and in the Fire up the Grill digital cookbook.
One year ago: Blackberry Swirl Cheesecake
Two years ago: Gluten-Free Caramel S’mores Bars
Four years ago: Butterbeer Ice Cream
NAKED BBQ BLACK BEAN-QUINOA VEGGIE BURGERS
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn into pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup lightly salted roasted sunflower seeds
2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup (~3 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp Kraft thick & spicy barbeque sauce*
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp of olive oil
Kraft big slice sharp cheddar cheese
Thinly sliced red onion
Kraft thick & spicy barbeque sauce*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss kale with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Rub the leaves with your fingers to evenly coat. Bake on two rimmed baking sheets until crisp, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sunflower seed in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add quinoa, black beans, cheese, onion, egg, flour, BBQ sauce, and salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until combined but still chunky. Divide into 4 equal portions and form into four 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Heat up grill and grease grates with olive oil (or use a large skillet over medium heat). Add patties and cook for 4-6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until crispy and golden on the outside and hot on the inside. Remove from heat, top with cheddar, and let sit for 2-5 minutes until cheese has softened.
- Serve topped with red onion, BBQ sauce, and kale chips.
* Can substitute with homemade, etc.
Source: Adapted from Smoky Chipotle Quinoa Burgers.
This recipe has been chosen to be part of our Burgers, Sliders, and Dogs Recipe Roundup – we hope you will help us spread the word by sharing, pinning, and tweeting! All links go directly to your recipes and was hope you get lots of traffic! Kelli and Holli at Yum Goggle
P.S. – you actually have around 5 posts in this recipe roundup so I won’t belabor the point by posting on each one – hope you’ll give it a look!
Awesome, thanks ladies!