This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! Giveaway is sponsored but I did not personally receive any complimentary products. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Have you ever seen a moldy muffin full of broken glass in the trash that you just had to have? I give you the matcha zucchini muffin disguised for Halloween!
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nothing like a moss cake or moldy muffin full of glass chards, amiright?
What if I told you they were actually matcha zucchini muffins dressed up and ready for Halloween trick-or-treating? I promise they don’t taste like mold. And that “glass” on top is actually sugar!
I got the idea for these muffins from an old YouTube video that has stuck with me after all these years. Remember the “Shoes” video (another friends and I were thoroughly entertained by in college)? Well he also did one about muffins and it starts out alright until he introduces all kinds of weird flavors, including one with glass in it.
But as usual I couldn’t just stop there, I wanted to make them look moldy too. While the muffins themselves look pretty grossly green thanks to matcha and zucchini (with some white chocolate spores), I wanted to really get that fuzzy mold look. Here comes more matcha and powdered sugar dusted on top with my sugar dusting wand.
These might be the grossest looking things I’ve ever made, but thankfully when it comes to Halloween that’s a win! I’ve never been so proud of something so disgusting looking. Helps that they are indeed tasty breakfast muffins.
While you continue to work on your gag reflex, scroll to the bottom of this post to enter the #HalloweenTreatsWeek giveaway!
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Frosted Frankenstein Brownies from Big Bear’s Wife
Halloween Pies & Tarts:
- Spider Web Chocolate Tart from The Flour Handprint
- Moldy Bits of Glass Muffins (Matcha Muffins) from The Spiffy Cookie
Sweet Halloween Treats:
- Halloween Pretzel Treat from Devour Dinner
- Graveyard Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats from JZ Eats
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Monster Marshmallow Pops from Sweet Beginnings
- Wicked Witch Fudge from Take Two Tapas
Two years ago: Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Butter Thumbprints
Four years ago: Peanut Butter Ricotta Pierogies with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Six years ago: No-Churn Pumpkin Cannoli Ice Cream
Seven years ago: Ghost Chili with Cornbread Topping and Chipotle Creama
- 2 cups oats, old-fashioned or quick cooking
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp matcha green tea powder, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar, for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 + 2 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- Candy thermometer
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 standard muffin-pan cups, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, matcha, baking powder and soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat buttermilk, oil, and egg until well blended; stir in shredded zucchini. Add zucchini mixture to flour mixture and stir just until the flour mixture is moistened (the batter will be very thick). Stir in white chocolate chips, if using.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, line a baking pan with wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
- in a medium saucepan add the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Insert the candy thermometer and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until the thermometer reaches 300 degrees.
- Working quickly and carefully, immediately pour on the prepared baking pan, tilting to spread. Allow it to sit until hardened (about 30 minutes). Once hardened, break into pieces using a mallet.
- To garnish the muffins, dust the tops with matcha powder, followed by powdered sugar. Then insert pieces of candy glass into the top*.
* Best served the same day as the candy glass and powdered topping will dissolve over time due to moisture from the muffin. Alternatively, you could assemble later.
Source: Adapted from my Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins and Nerdy Mamma.
Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media.
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #7 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #8 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #9 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #11 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #13 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!