If you are going to take away the meat from my chili you better be able to back it up. This vegetarian bean chili is the next best thing.
It’s that time of year… chilly chili time! While my go-to chili will always be my dad’s, if I need a vegetarian option this recipe is also exceptional. It involves a variety of canned beans and a lot of vegetable chopping in the beginning (can use a food processor to speed things up), but once it’s in your slow cooker there’s nothing left to do but go about your day and come home to dinner.
Since today is a Saturday that also means I snuck peanut butter and chocolate in there as well for #PBchocSat! The Ohio State Buckeyes are at home against the Wisconsin Badgers today at noon and it’s our toughest match up yet. But I have faith in my team, especially since it’s on our own turf (literally). But just in case I have this comforting chili to take care of my nerves.
Welcome to our #ChiliCookOff!
We have delicious recipes from across the country to get your chili making to the next level of delicious!
- Slow Cooker Taco Chili by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- White Bean Turkey Chili by Sweet Beginnings
- Frito Pie Chili by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Buckeye Chili by The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet Hot Pepper Jelly Ground Beef & Bean Chili by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Steak Fajita Chili by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Garden Fresh Chili by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- BBQ Beef Brisket Chili by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Classic Chili Recipe by Our Crafty Mom
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili by Kate’s Recipe Box
Three years ago: Chocolate Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Four year ago: Beet Biscuits
Six years ago: Sea Salt Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups
SLOW COOKER VEGETARIAN BUCKEYE CHILI
1/4 cup olive oil
4 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 celery stalks, chopped
4 red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15.5 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15.5 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened natural peanut butter
1/4 cup chili powder
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 Tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Set your slow cooker to low. Add the sauteed vegetables and remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and cover. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
Source: Adapted slightly from A Side of Sweet.