Rice crispy treats are always a hit but they are extra special when made to look like Lego bricks for a Lego themed 5th birthday party!
After my self-proclaimed epic failure to make fire hydrant shaped cake ball truffles for the last birthday (no I will not share photos), I was feeling a little unconfident when I received an e-mail from my brother and sister-in-law asking if I would be game for creating a Lego-shaped treat this year for my nephew Luke’s 5th birthday. However, my heart lifted when the words that proceeded it were “rice crispy treat”. Now that is more my speed. Granted I’m fairly certain that even the lop-sided fire hydrants were devoured with gusto by all the kids in attendance last year, not caring for one second that they weren’t perfect, but I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to baking alright?
I’m telling you, I can make all kinds of crazy awesome flavored things and decorate them decently well, but creating shapes (other than buckeyes which are supposed to be imperfect) is not my forte. You would think it would be after years of creating animal and flower shaped pizzas growing up but alas that is not the case. But square rice crispy treats, dyed red, green, blue, and yellow, with corresponding colored M&Ms on top? We are in business! I actually originally intended to coat the tops with a layer of colored chocolate as well but realized too late that I had ran out of a few colors and didn’t have time to go buy some. I think they came out pretty cute and would definitely be easy to make with any kiddos in your life.
P.S. In my rush to make sure these arrived in time for the party, all the way in California, I didn’t have time to take any photos! So all the photo credit goes to Kate and her mother Ilona. Below is a photo of Griffin, Luke’s younger brother enjoying a yellow brick!
Two years ago: Tidy up with #OXOSpringCleaning
Four years ago: Strawberry Stuffed Cupcakes
Six years ago: Eggplant Parmesan
LEGO RICE CRISPY TREATS
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
8 cups (two 10.5 oz. bags) mini marshmallows, divided
2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
12 cups puffed rice cereal, divided
Food coloring (red, green, blue, yellow)
M&Ms (separated out red, green, blue, yellow)
- Coat 4 8×8-inch pans with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In small pot over low heat melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add half a bag of marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a few drops of red food coloring. Add 3 cups of cereal and stir until well coated.
- Spread mixture evenly in one of the prepared pans. Using buttered spatula, waxed paper, or greased hands, press mixture evenly and firmly.
- Immediately top with red M&Ms (I did 4 M&M’s grouped together 16 times per pan).
- Repeat with remaining ingredients and colors.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Source: Adapted from all over the internet.
I can’t believe he’s already 5!! And these crispy treats are so so cute-what a great idea!
That was a lot of rice crispy treats.