Enjoy your slow cooker year round, it’s not just for cold weather. This slow cooker chicken and broccoli sauce is great on top of your favorite pasta.
Yesterday I was sucked into the gloriousness that is McKay’s used books. Not only do they have an expansive selection of books to rival any of the larger chain bookstores, but there was an entire aisle of cookbooks. Unfortunately I was only there for a short stop before heading off to the movies and didn’t have enough time to fully commit to the search but you better believe I will be going back sometime this week to take over that aisle. There are all kinds from the latest cookbooks to those gems with contributed recipes which were made for bake sales, fundraisers, etc. I cannot wait to see what I find!
In truth however, I bookmark so many recipes daily from my fellow food bloggers that I really should not be thinking about buying cookbooks, used or not. There are simply not enough meals in the day for how many recipes I want to try. I expressed this problem to Joanne (Eats Well With Others) and decided that somehow we all need to get together, cook two recipes we’ve been dying to try, and then have a fat-kid field day. What I would give to live closer to make that happen. Guess I could always venture back up to the NYC area again. Or maybe Kita (Pass the Sushi) and I could convince everyone to venture to Seattle with us to visit Peabody (Sweet ReciPEAs) and all the root beer deliciousness that awaits.
But back to all the food I want to cook. This is one such recipe that I have been wanting to make and the best part is that it doesn’t take any time at all to prepare because your slow cooker does all the work and doesn’t heat up your house. Well okay you have to steam the broccoli and cook the pasta but the hard parts are taken care of, giving you more time to focus on whatever else – like daydreaming about foodie-travels.
I can’t be the only one who sometimes takes trips based solely around food?
Post updated 1/22/22, photo above is the original.
Seriously Good Slow Cooker Recipes
- Chilindro – Slow Cooker Spanish Red Pepper Stew from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken from Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Stroganoff from Books n’ Cooks
- Slow Cooker Mahogany Chicken Legs from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Vegan Whole Moong Masala from Magical Ingredients
- White Chicken Chili from That Recipe
One year ago: Cherry Vanilla Almond Overnight Oatmeal
Three years ago: Jalapeno Cheddar Hummus with Homemade Pita Chips
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp minute tapioca
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, patted dry, sliced thin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- Cooked pasta and additional cheese for serving
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, whisk together the broth, wine, and tapioca. Stir in the onion, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 -6 hours.
- When ready, using two forks, carefully shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until tender. Add to the chicken mixture along with the cheese and stir to combine. Serve over pasta.