Creamy stuffed shells are like pillows for your taste buds. Nestle them in a creamy pumpkin sage sauce for a mouthwatering fall twist.
With my dissertation behind me and only 21 days until I graduate and get hooded for my Ph.D. you’d think I would be care-free and excited. Not so much, more like the same old stress and anxious. I am still working on a couple last experiments per reviewers comments on my paper, job hunting, and worrying about what I am going to do if I don’t have a job lined up by the end of January when my lease runs out. With any luck that last item won’t become a reality, but in the meantime it’s a good time for some comfort food.
Stuffed shells are great comfort food. Those big shells hug in their cheesy goodness of a filling while being wrapped up in a warm blanket of sauce. Sounds like the life, doesn’t it? This sauce happens to be extra special because it is a pumpkin alfredo sauce with sage. Now wait, don’t get discouraged thinking you have to make your own alfredo sauce (but you can if you want). This recipe uses a premade jar of alfredo mixed up with pumpkin puree and a couple other flavor additions to create a great fall pasta dish.
Looking for more savory pumpkin recipes?
- Creamy Pumpkin Tortellini by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta with Chicken by Savory Moments
- Pumpkin Deviled Eggs by 4 Sons “R” Us
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Bacon Alfredo Sauce by That Recipe
- Pumpkin Parmesan Risotto with Bacon by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Pumpkin Seafood Curry by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan Savory Stuffed Pumpkins by The Baking Fairy
One year ago: Individual Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal
Two years ago: Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup
Three years ago: Veggie Lasagna
STUFFED SHELLS WITH PUMPKIN SAGE CREAM SAUCE
16 jumbo pasta shells
15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
1/3 cup chopped shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced garlic
1 (15 oz.) jar alfredo sauce
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1-1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a casserole dish with nonstick spray, set aside.
- For shells: Cook shells according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, and sage. Stir to combine.
- Divide cheese mixture evenly among shells and place stuffed shells on baking sheet temporarily.
- For sauce: Add broth, shallots, and garlic to medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are tender and liquid has reduced by half.
- Stir in alfredo sauce, pumpkin, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Pour sauce into prepared baking pan. Arrange stuffed shells on top. Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
Source: Adapted slightly from Lemon Tree Dwelling.
Post updated 10/29/19, the pictures above and below are the originals.