Try out these Caprese salad bagel bites at your next gathering. Mini bagels are stacked with pesto, fresh mozzarella, and a slice of tomato, then baked, and finished off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
I recently told you about how I am working on bagel bite ideas for the cafe my friends are opening called Tabletop Board Game Cafe (in West Cleveland – Ohio City, OH).
Today I am sharing my second creation – Caprese Salad Bagel Bites. It may not be the most unheard of idea, but it certainly is delicious. I had to make them twice because I ate them too fast before ensuring I got a good photo.
The balsamic reduction is key.
Fast forward several years and while these babies are no longer on their menu, they are still in business and celebrated their 7th birthday in June of 2022! So here’s my belated birthday celebration in their honor by updating this post, because they are still delicious.
And 2014 me clearly didn’t know what a good photo looked like – ha!
To find out more about Tabletop Board Game Cafe, follow @tabletopcleve on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Post updated 10/20/2022, photo above is the original.
One year ago: Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes
- 3 (3-inch) mini bagels, sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp basil pesto
- 6 slices fresh Mozzarella (about half a 8 oz. ball)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
- Balsamic glaze, for garnish
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat toaster (or regular) oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread approximately 1/2 tablespoon of pesto onto the cut-side of each bagel half. Top with mozzarella and tomato.
- Place on a small baking sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes, or until cheese begins to melt.
- Transfer to a plate or serving tray. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with basil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Source: The Spiffy Cookie
We love caprese anything (I think I may be addicted to balsamic glaze) and I think the flavors would be delicious on a bagel. Great vegetarian option on a menu!
How do you make Balsamic Reduction?
I did link to my recipe for balsamic glaze in the ingredient list but I’ll tell you here too! In a small pan over medium heat add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbsp brown sugar. Simmer until syrupy (reduced by about half). You can also buy balsamic reduction (I know Trader Joe’s sells some).
I would totally order this at the cafe! Can’t go wrong with caprese!!