Pair your favorite hot cocoa with these cute sugar cookie spoons.
Today I am joining a Virtual Holiday Treat Party on Molly’s blog CAKEfyi, along with a group of other bloggers. The goal is provide a great resource for readers like yourself who are hunting for treats to bring to upcoming holiday parties! As a bonus, Molly is also hosting a giveaway on her blog for a 5-piece bakeware set. So head on over to CAKEfyi for additional holiday treats and a sweet giveaway (blog no longer active)!
Growing up, we made cut out sugar cookies for just about every holiday. My dad had a huge repurposed pretzel drum full of assorted cookie cutter shapes (a collection I am still working on for myself). For decoration, sometimes we dyed the dough, sometimes we added sprinkles before baking, and sometimes we waited until after they baked. No matter what our decorating techniques were, this was the sugar cookie dough recipe we used. To me, it is the perfect sugar cookie dough although I may be biased due to nostalgia. Whatever the reasoning, when I finally added a spoon cookie cutter to my collection, I knew exactly which recipe to dig out of my recipe box filled with recipes compiled from both of my parents.
These sugar cookie spoons are perfect for dipping to you hot cocoa and just like my childhood years, can be decorated in may ways! For some, I placed a caramel filled Hershey’s kiss in the spoon-head with 2 minutes remaining during bake time (I think a Rolo would have melted better though). For others I dipped in white chocolate and decorated with festive sprinkles. No matter what you choose, these would make a great accompaniment to some homemade hot cocoa mix as a gift.
Two years ago: Blueberry-Almond Turtles
SUGAR COOKIE SPOONS
Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies, depending on cookie cutter size
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Melted chocolate, icing and/or sprinkles, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Blend in the egg.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture 1/3 at a time until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the cookie dough to desired thickness (somewhere between 1-8/-1/4 inch) and cut with cookie cutters. Place on prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart (they won’t spread much). If desired, decorate with sprinkles before baking.
- Baked for 5-10 minutes (will vary on cookie thickness and shape), or until lightly golden on the edges and bottom. If desired, place a Hershey’s kiss or a Rolo in the center of each spoon-head during the last 2 minutes of baking.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack. Once cooled, decorate by dipping in melted chocolate, spreading on icing and/or adding sprinkles.
Source: Cookie dough recipe from my dad.