Caramelized brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic vinegar is not a side dish to be forgotten. Cooks quickly in a skillet and pairs well with your holiday ham or turkey!
Since finally discovering that I liked them, every brussels sprouts recipe I see I want to try. As proof a few I have shared include roasted brussels sprouts with jalapeno aioli, grilled brussels sprouts with pistachios, cranberries, and parmesan, creamy skillet brussels and corn, brussels sprouts with honey vinaigrette, and brussels sprouts with bacon, dried, cherries, and Israeli couscous.
So many flavors pair well with brussels sprouts but one is most consistent – bacon! So when deciding on the vegetable side dish to go along with ham this past Sunday, I decided that nothing goes better with ham than more pork product, aka bacon, and caramelized brussels sprouts!
But these brussels sprouts aren’t just mixed up with bacon, but I also went ahead and caramelized them in brown sugar and the bacon grease as well instead of dumping it out and using olive oil. It seemed like such a shame to waste it! But the best part is that this only requires one pan to cook (freeing up oven space) and is ready in under 30 minutes, making it easy to time with the rest of your holiday menu.
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Apple Pomegranate Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese for a Crowd from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cheesy Grits Souffle from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon Cornbread Casserole from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grape and Pineapple Salad from Palatable Pastime
- No Knead Dinner Rolls from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Palak Paneer Pulao from Magical Ingredients
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Parmesan Cheese from Blogghetti
- Savory Canned Pumpkin Drop Biscuits from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Squash Salad with Tahini Vinaigrette from A Day in the Life on the Farm
One year ago: Garlic Rolls
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until just crisp. Remove bacon, and keep remaining oil heated.
- Place sprouts in skillet, cut sides down, and sprinkle with sugar. Saute over medium low heat for about 3 minutes or until bottoms start to caramelize and tops start turning bright green.
- Pour vinegar over sprouts and shake pan to distribute. Cook for 30 seconds. Turn all sprouts over and cook for another minute.
- Add reserved bacon to sprouts. Toss and cook for 30 seconds. Add salt to taste if necessary. Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted slightly from Miss Make (website no longer active).
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
Post updated 11/1/2023, photo above is the original.
The House of Mews Bake Sale is now complete = $890!
What a great turn out! To see who won each item refer to the original bake sale post. And if you happen to be one of the lucky winners, please check your e-mail box as I have already e-mailed all of the winners to request addresses and give payment details. You have 24 hours to provide this information, otherwise that goodie will go to the next highest bidder. As soon as I have all the information necessary, I will pass it along for the shipment of your winnings.
Thanks so much to the exciting bidders, the food bloggers who donated the baked goods! Because of you tons of furry kitty bellies will be very happy. And also thanks to HelloGiggles.com for their kitten cam and The House of Mews for being a superb organization!