Go ahead and eat cake for breakfast with this easy, dairy-free carrot cake oatmeal. Complete with shredded carrots, dried cranberries, walnuts, and shredded coconut.
It felt so wonderful to get out of town for a couple days and visit family this weekend, even though I didn’t stay the full 3-day weekend (cell cultures won’t start themselves!). Of course many delicious things were eaten, but today I want to talk about this oatmeal that I made this morning.
Because it’s a holiday, so guess who had time to cook herself a warm delicious breakfast? Me!
Without using a lot of sweetener, this oatmeal is a sweet oatmeal delight thanks to the carrots and little bit of maple syrup. And it really does taste like carrot cake, but in creamy oatmeal form. You will even feel like you are indulging but it is packed with carrots and other goodies that are sneakily nutritious.
This would also be great in the spring such as Easter morning or just whenever you crave carrot cake. Honestly I could eat carrot cake any time of year.
Post updated 1/18/22, photos above and below are the originals.National Oatmeal Month
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream (or use more milk)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8th tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 heaping cup finely grated carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolls oats
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts, divided
- 2 Tbsp chopped dried cranberries, divided
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp sweetened shredded coconut, for garnish
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat, whisk together the milk, coconut cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the grated carrots and oats. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 8-9 minutes, stirring frequently. When the mixture has thickened up, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, half of the walnuts, half of the dried cranberries, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Remove from heat and portion into bowls.
- Top the oatmeal with the remaining walnuts, dried cranberries, and shredded coconut.