These black forest stuffed cupcakes have a surprise cherry cheesecake-like filling inside and are topped with fresh whipped cream frosting for a delicious treat.
Monday, March 28th: National Black Forest Cake Day. But how about black forest stuffed cupcakes instead? I think you already know that the answer is yes!
While procuring my ingredients to make these black forest stuffed cupcakes, I was disappointed when I was told at the grocery store that cherries are a seasonal fruit item and therefore are currently not in stock. This perplexed me because aren’t most fruits seasonal? Come on, there’s got to be some country cherries are imported from year round (says the entitled American).
What are black forest stuffed cupcakes?
Inspired by the German dessert, Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (or black forest cherry torte), black forest stuffed cupcakes are also a chocolate cake with a cherry filling. Typically, the cake version consists of several layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched with whipped cream and cherries, but in cupcake form there’s a creamy cherry center and whipped cream on top.
Instead I settled for a jar of Maraschino cherries. If you can find fresh cherries, I would do it because I always think fresh fruit is better than anything else (just make sure to pit them first). Granted these black forest stuffed cupcakes were delicious regardless, and admittedly I think the Maraschino cherries went well with the cherry pie filling inside the cupcakes.
Plus they received this rave review from my P.I. – “I am not kidding you, best cupcake I’ve ever had.”
Can you make a black forest cupcake with cake mix?
You most certainly can. Just follow the directions on the box for standard chocolate cupcakes, but I would definitely still stuff them with the cherry-cream cheese filling and top the whipped cream frosting. Don’t forget the cherry on top!
Post updated 5/10/2023. Photo above is the original.
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 (20 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1-2/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups cold heavy cream
- 6-7 Tbsp sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherries
- Chocolate shavings
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add egg, beating just until incorporated. Fold in the cherry pie filling until evenly distributed; set side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 wells of two cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- For the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt together; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract until just incorporated.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients in three additions alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix each addition just until incorporated.
- Divide half the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Spoon in 2 Tbsp of the cream cheese cherry mixture. Cover evenly with remaining cake batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, add the heavy cream and beat on medium-low speed, slowly increasing as the cream begins to thicken up to medium-high speed. While the cream is being whipped, gradually add in the powdered sugar a spoonful at a time. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the vanilla extract.
- Frost the filled cupcakes with the whipped cream. Garnish as desired with a cherry and chocolate shavings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.