Let the patriotic celebrations begin with this red, white and blue white wine sangria. Complete with star-shaped apple slices.
The USA takes on Belgium today for the final game in the round of sixteen. With the 4th of July this week I decided to mix up a white wine sangria with red (strawberries), white (apples) and blue (blueberries) fruit floating around in it. But that’s not all folks, the apples are cut into star shapes to make it even more patriotic. It appeals to taste buds and patriots! I unfortunately will be working (without a glass of this sangria in hand) but thankfully the location at which I am today has a TV within view from the front desk, so you better know what channel I will have it set on.
Red, white & berry hand-held pies are stuffed with cream cheese, strawberries, and blueberries. Perfect for any patriotic event!
Today’s another big day for the USA soccer team, taking on Germany this afternoon in hopes of continuing on into the knockout round of 16. There are several scenarios in which this could happen: (1) USA beats Germany, (2) USA ties Germany,(3) USA loses to Germany while Portugal and Ghana tie, or (4) USA loses to Germany, Portugal or Ghana wins (therefore tying the USA) and USA scores enough goals to win the goal point differential tiebreaker. In other words the odds are decent but not solid enough to breathe easy. To make matters worse I have to DVR the game and somehow avoid all commentary from the outside world before getting home to watch it myself. I should just go ahead and stuff cotton into my ears now.
But if you could care less about soccer or futbol, or whatever it is you want to call it, don’t worry I have a fun mini dessert for you today. These hand pies were made using a star-shaped mini pie press and are stuffed with cheesecake, strawberries, and blueberries which is why they are called red, white and berry hand pies. The star shape of the pie may have blended while baking but there’s also a star-shaped vent cut into the top and that same piece of star-shaped crust is placed on top of the crust for more flair. Patriot enough for the fourth of July, Memorial Day, or for cheering on our nation’s soccer team!
Show off your American pride with this surprise-inside USA flag cake, decorated like a soccer ball for the World Cup. Also perfect for Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.
Today the USA soccer team takes on Ghana for their first game in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. USA is in Group G with Ghana (obviously), Portugal and Germany. In other words we’ve got some tough teams to play. To have any hope of being one of the two teams to advance from the group, team USA must beat Ghana as they are likely the most beatable. Unfortunately, Ghana has knocked the USA out of the last two World Cups. Obviously this means it’s time for a fun cake.
To celebrate game 1 for the USA, I originally planed to make cupcakes decorated as soccer balls but decided to take it a step further and try out my own version of a surprise-inside cake - a soccer ball decorated cake with a USA flag inside! Alternating layers of red and white cake are segmented with a round of blue cake which when cut, looks like a miniature flag. This cake would also be perfect for Memorial Day or the upcoming July 4th holiday.
One year ago: Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Pancakes
With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, here’s a complete Cinco de Mayo recipe roundup with recipes for breakfast, drinks, appetizers, dinner and dessert. You’ll be celebrating all day! Or if you’re like me and the rest of my fellow May-babies, you’ll be celebrating all month long. Birthday month!
This weekend is particularly special to me because it is my birthday weekend and one of my awesome friends is coming to visit! Nothing concrete planned, but plenty of good times will occur no matter what. It’s time to kick off the last year of my 20s (and maybe make one of those 30 before 30 lists).
One year ago: Guacamole Tortilla Chip-Crusted Nacho Chicken
Two years ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Three years ago: Butterscotch Truffles
- Bacon, Egg and Avocado Taco
- Breakfast Burrtio
- Breakfast Quesadillas
- Pinto Bean Breakfast Patty Melts (pictured)
- Strawberry-Banana Colada Smoothie (pictured)
- Strawberry, Mango, and Yogurt Smoothie
- Strawberry Mojito
APPETIZERS AND SIDES
- Avocado Cheese Ball
- Avocado Fries
- Avocado Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Baked Chicken Bacon Ranch Taquitos with Avocado Ranch
- Bean and Cheese Taquitos
- Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Quesadillas
- Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Avocado Ranch
- Chicken Mango Quesadillas
- Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Easy Corn Salsa
- Guacamole Seasoning
- Healthier Elote (Mexican Corn)
- Homemade Salsa
- Mojito Fruit Dip
- Potato Nachos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Nachos
- Spring Salsa (pictured)
- Taco Bowls
- Blackened Chicken with Cilantro Lime Quinoa and Avocado Cream Sauce
- Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Pie
- Cheesy Vegetable Enchiladas (pictured)
- Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
- Chicken Taco Salad with Quesadilla Strips
- Chicken Taco Stack
- Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- Guacamole Tortilla Chip-Crusted Nacho Chicken
- Homemade Taco Bell Beefy 5-Layer Burrito
- Mexican Hot Dogs with Corn Salsa and Chipotle Cream
- Mexican Mac and Cheese
- Mexican Pulled Pork (Carnitas)
- Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Oven-Fried Avocado Tacos with Cilantro Lime Creme
- Pork Loin Chops with Avocado-Manga Salsa and Spinach Quinoa
- Sloppy Joses with Avocado Cream
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Southwestern Oven-Fried Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing
- Spicy Avocado Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Seasoning
- Coconut Pecan Cookies
- Dulce de Leche Brownies
- Flourless Black Bean Brownies
- Gluten-Free Avocado Brownies
- Mango Frozen Greek Yogurt
- Raspberry Mango Margarita Pie
- Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes (pictured)
- Tropical Ice Pops
These gluten-free brownies are so fudgy they will blow your mind. The surprise is that they are made with avocados topped with a fun, green avocado frosting!
Two gluten-free brownie recipes in one week!? Craziness I know but Sunday’s was a single serving while today’s was made with avocados, and let me tell you they were crazy fudgy. Nearly had to scrape them out of the pan and eat them with a spoon fudgy. “It’s so fudgy I’m going to die!” – paraphrased quote from Agnes of Despicable Me.
Who knew avocados could render such a consistency in baked goods? Then to literally top it off, they are frosted with a green avocado frosting. Surprisingly you do not have to worry about the frosting turning brown. Evidently sugar is the secret weapon against avocado-oxidation.
Whip these up and see if anyone suspects they are anything other than regular fudgy brownies with some frosting you decided to “dye green”. I know most people I offered them to not only had no idea they were gluten-free but could not detect the avocado. The suspiciously green frosting was the only clue.
This carrot cake is the only recipe I have ever used. It is perfectly moist and surrounded by cream cheese frosting, proving it’s relevance beyond Easter.
Easter may have been yesterday but it’s never too late to share a carrot cake recipe. Especially when it’s my favorite carrot cake recipe and have already managed to go 3.5 years without sharing it with the masses. The original recipe called for just white granulated sugar but I use half white and half brown sugar while also reducing the oil a little bit and find that it is perfectly moist. From there you can mix in walnuts, pecans or raisins if you so desire. But don’t forget the cream cheese frosting! I even added halved baby carrots on top for decoration.
Looking for an Easter dessert? This cute Easter bunny cake is easily constructed with two round cakes. The best part is that it’s a no-bake cake made out of rice krispies treats.
Baking for the holidays is always a lot of fun. Beyond an excuse to use festive sprinkles, there are so many creative ideas. Take this cake for example – two round cakes magically transform into this cute little guy. Unfortunately my photo-shoot for this Easter creation was not conducive to great pictures, but the execution is what’s important here. It’s an Easter bunny cake!
First things first, this is a no-bake cake. I made a cake out of rice krispies treats which were formed in cake pans. Using a simple template I cut up one of the cakes into the ears and bowtie to create the bunny. From there all that remained was to frost and decorate! You can use any assortment of candy, sprinkles, and frosting that you prefer. I made the eyes out of leftover cakeball fondant and white and black frosting, the cheeks are pink sprinkles, the nose is more cakeball fondant, the mouth is black frosting, and finally the bowtie consists of a chocolate chip cookie, cakeball fondant and sprinkles. Coconut would also be a great way to make a “fluffy” bunny but I made this cake for a non-coconut lover.
This sweet and tangy corn salsa is as easy to make as it is to watch disappear. With sweet yellow corn, black beans, pimentos, and bell pepper, what’s not to love?
If you’ve been paying attention, you may have spied the new CW bakeware by CorningWare in my posts this week. CW is a new line of bakeware from CorningWare that comes in an array of vibrant colors and sizes (purple, blue, green, yellow, and red & 3 quart, shallow 1.9 quart, 1.5 quart, and 20 oz.). What first excited me about this bakeware were the colors, especially the purple ;-). It didn’t hurt that they also net together for compact storage – something I battled with constantly in my apartment’s tiny kitchen.
I made a sausage and egg breakfast casserole in the blue 3 quart baker, an asparagus & wild rice casserole in the green 1.5 quart baker, and today I am sharing a recipe for an easy corn salsa displaying in the blue 1.5 quart and red 20 oz. bakers. Although this salsa does not require any oven-time, I wanted to show off that this bakeware is just as good at serving food as it is at baking. As for the salsa, the recipe is from my PhD advisor’s wife. Whenever she made it for any event and I would be found hovering over it. Under my watch, it disappeared as quickly as it was made.
What you would make in the CW bakeware? Tell me using the Rafflecopter widget at the bottom of this post and you will be entered to win your own set!
P.S. For those of you wondering, I qualified in the B1 group for pickleball. There are 5 groups starting with C, B2, B1, A2 and then A1 is the best. So I’m i the middle of the pack. I was told I could easily move up to A2 with just a little more practice. Maybe in another month if I’m still without a job…
Complete Easter recipe roundup with recipes for Brunch, appetizers, sides, dinner and dessert!
With Easter just a little over a week away I thought it was a good time to gather up some recipes to help you plan your Easter Brunch and/or dinner. Many of these have appeared at Easter events I attended in the past and I know they will be a hit with your friends and family too. Do you have a favorite recipe that you have to make every year? Somehow my favorite carrot cake recipe has not made it onto the blog yet but there are a few carrot cake-inspired treats on this list – Carrot Cake Batter Dip, Carrot Cake Waffles and Carrot Cake Oatmeal!
Check back as I will be adding new recipes as we get closer to Easter!
One year ago: Speculoos Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Granola Bars
Two years ago: Flavor-Injected Glazed Ham
- Baked Blueberry French Toast with Streusel Topping
- Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- Biscoff Cinnamon Rolls
- Breakfast Pizza
- Breakfast Stromboli
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Quiche with Hash Brown Crust
- Broccoli Quiche
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Buttermilk Pecan Waffles
- Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Parfaits
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Waffles
- French Toast Waffles
- Goat Cheese, Spinach & Tomato Quiche
- Kale Quiche
- Mini Meyer Lemon Sticky Rolls
- Mini Razzle Dazzle Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls (pictured)
- Nutella Waffles with Raspberry Syrup
- Potica Nut Roll
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Tomato-Basil Eggs Alfredo in Bread Baskets
- Veggie Eggs Benedict
- Baked Crazy Feta
- Cake Batter Fruit Dip
- Carrot Cake Batter Dip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- Deviled Strawberries (pictured)
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Homemade Mozzarella & Caprese Salad Skewers
- Mojito Fruit Dip
- Nutella Fruit Dip
- Orange-Vanilla Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Rainbow Guacamole Deviled Eggs
- Spring Salsa
- Strawberry Fruit Dip
- Toffee Apple Dip
- Veggie Cups with Green Goddess Dip & Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Asparagus & Wild Rice Casserole
- Blue Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Brussels Sprout Mac and Cheese
- Brussels Sprouts with Honey Vinaigrette
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Creamy Skillet Brussels and Corn
- Crispy Parmesan Green Beans
- Homemade Olive Garden Salad and Dressing
- Greek Yogurt-Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- Individual Scalloped Potatoes with Bacon & Jalapeno (pictured)
- Matzo Ball Soup
- Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli
- Potato, Squash and Goat Cheese Gratin
- Amaretto-Maple glazed Pork Chops
- Apple Jelly Glazed Pork Chops
- Crockpot Turkey Tenderloin with Gravy (pictured) – try with pork loin
- Flavor-Injected Glazed Ham
- Banana Pudding Pie
- Blueberry Blondie Cheesecake Bars
- Blueberry Cookies
- Brownie Fruit Pizza
- Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (pictured)
- Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
- Crustless Ginger Blueberry-Pear Pie
- Flower Bouquet Cake Pops
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting
- Funfetti-Peanut Butter Layer Pie
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Pudding Cookies
- Graham Cracker Bars
- Key Lime Greek Yogurt Pie
- Meyer Lemon Chess Pie
- Meyer Lemon Shortcakes with Meyer Lemon Curd
- Oreo Truffles
- Peach Greek Yogurt Pie
- Pear Yogurt Almond Cake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Peepsters Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pretzel Crusted Peanut Butter Blondies with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Rainbow Fruit Pizza Tart
- Single Serving White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treat
- Southern Caramel Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Pie
- Strawberry Lemonade Rice Krispies Treats
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Strawberry Stuffed Cupcakes
- Sweet Swirl Cookies
Previous Roundups: Easter Recipe Roundup 2012