Not only is it another Secret Recipe Club reveal day, but it’s also National Chocolate Day! As a result, my recipe selection for today from Vintage Kitchen Notes involves chocolate. But before I talk about that, you should check out some of Paula’s other recipes such as Grilled Eggplants with Honey and Spices, Brown Sugar Cheesecake, and these festive White Chocolate Dulde de Leche Ghosts. I also almost made her Chocolate Walnut Sheet cake for today but I hadn’t treated myself to pancakes in awhile.
I ended up choosing her recipe for chocolate pumpkin pancakes. The original recipe used chocolate chips, but I decided to mix in cocoa powder instead to spread the chocolate throughout the pancakes. The chocolate flavor wasn’t as pronounced, but I liked the added flavor in addition to the pumpkin and cinnamon. And I went ahead and sprinkled some mini chocolate chips on top anyway. It’s a fall breakfast treat!
Two years ago: Halloween Brownie Roll Out Cookie Sandwiches
CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN PANCAKES
Serves approximately 6
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1-1/3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat griddle or skillet to medium heat (around 325 degrees).
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl mix milk, pumpkin puree, egg yolks and butter. In another medium bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the pumpkin mixure to the dry mixture and mix just until no streaks of flour remain. Add egg whites and fold gently with a spatula. It should be well incorporated but don´t overmix.
- Drop pancakes, 1/4 cup of batter at a time, on hot skillet. Cook on one side until bubbles form and bottom is brown. Flip and cook on the other side until browned.
- Stack pancakes and serve with syrup or other favorite toppings (such as mini chocolate chips).
Source: Adapted slightly from Vintage Kitchen Notes.