The purple sweet potato is back for round #2! I told you that thing was huge and would result in more than one recipe. In fact, I still have plenty leftover even after making these doughnuts! The purple color was not nearly as vibrant in these as it was in the gnocchi, but I think that is due to a larger flour to potato ratio. No matter, they still taste wonderful.
My favorite part was actually the marshmallow glaze. I had a little extra after I topped off all the doughnuts and found myself dipping them into the glaze repeatedly while eating. Don’t tell anyone, but I totally double-dipped! Seriously though these doughnuts are like sweet potato casserole, but dippable. And they are for breakfast.
One year ago: Gluten-Free Cake Batter Pancakes
BAKED PURPLE SWEET POTATO DOUGHNUTS WITH MARSHMALLOW GLAZE
Makes 6 doughnuts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp mashed purple sweet potato
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp 2% milk, if needed
1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff
1 Tbsp boiling water
Sprinkles for decorating (I used Wilton’s Autumn Micro Leaves)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a doughnut pan with baking spray, set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add the flour, sugar, and butter on low and mix until the butter is incorporated.
- Add baking powder, spices, and salt, mixing until combined.
- Add sweet potato, egg, and vanilla. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of milk. You want the dough to be thicker than cake batter but not dry.
- Transfer batter to a ziptop bag. Snip off the corner of the bag (make the opening ~ 3/4 inch) and pipe the batter into the doughnut wells until 3/4 cup full (the batter is thick and holds it’s shape, it won’t really settle or bake smoothly if you spoon it into the pan).
- Bake 8-12 minutes, until the top of the doughnut springs back when lightly tapped.
- Let cool in pan 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze, mix together both ingredients in a shallow bowl until a glaze consistency.
- Dip the doughnuts into the glaze and add sprinkles while the glaze is still soft.