Originally this recipe was prepared as an appetizer, cooked in mini-muffin pans for perfect bite-sized portions. They looked so delicious I decided to promote them to ‘entree’. I wish I had a green pepper when I made this, would’ve been a great addition! But as it stands it was still scrumptious. Also, like any pizza, prepare with any other “toppings” mixed in that you crave.
True to form, Brent only needed ranch dressing to complete his meal.
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1-8 oz block mozzarella cheese
1-6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1-1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
4 Tbsp butter
3 – 4 Tbsp cold water
1/2 cup Italian five cheese blend, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brown Italian sausage in a small skillet.
- While the meat cooks, cut block of mozzarella into small cubes.
- Stir together the tomato paste, olive oil, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Drain the meat and stir into tomato mixture. Stir in the mozzarella. Cover and refrigerate until assembling.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Slowly add water and stir. If necessary, form the dough into a ball with your hands, adding a bit more water if needed.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a tart pan. Place and press into the pan and work halfway up the sides to form a rim.
- Spread the filling into the tart evenly. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (top with shredded cheese for the last 10 minutes); until cheese is golden and thoroughly melted and crust is slightly golden brown.
Source: Adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments