These slow cooker honey buffalo wings are inspired by wings my husband and I grew up with in Western NY. A little heat and a little sweet at the same time!
For my last recipe of the week I made slow cooker honey buffalo wings, just in time for watching football playoffs tomorrow. Particularly perfect because we will be watching the Buffalo Bills play! However, I don’t have too much invested despite being a Bills fan growing up. Once I found college football I stopped caring about the pros.
I’m just here for the Buffalo wings.
Purists may revolt when they see I’ve added honey to these Buffalo wings. If so, they better not look even further into my recipe to see that I also added BBQ sauce! I wasn’t originally planning to add BBQ sauce but Bob dug out a recipe he has from his days working at a pizza & wing joint back home so I figured I’d give it a shot.
The end result was a spicy honey BBQ flavor that was most enjoyable. Even though I grew up around Buffalo wings I have to admit, I prefer other flavors of wings over them. But this version combining honey BBQ with Buffalo sauce might just be my new favorite.
The real question is – blue cheese or Ranch?
Now I’m going to say something even more blasphemous – I prefer Ranch with my Buffalo wings over blue cheese. Bob scolds me for it but I am not the only Western NY raised human to have this preference. So even though these pictures were taken featuring blue cheese, you know the truth – Bob ate it while I had my own bowl of Ranch for my wings!
Welcome to our #NationalSlowCookerMonth Celebration!
This week we are celebrating all things slow cooker! We have delicious recipes from across the country to fill your meal plans with delicious slow cooker recipes!
Four years ago: Weekly Meal Plan: 3
Seven years ago: Southern Caramel Cake
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 lb. fresh chicken wings, patted dry
HONEY BUFFALO SAUCE
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (add at end)
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry rub ingredients. Add chicken wings and massage over all the wings until evenly coated.
Lightly coat the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick spray and add the wings.
In the same mixing bowl, add sauce ingredients (except cornstarch) and whisk until blended. Pour over wings and toss gently to coat*.
Cover and cook on high for 3-3.5 hours, or low for 4.5-5 hours.
- Close to the end of the cooking time, preheat oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil coated with nonstick sprat.
- Remove the chicken wings from the slow cooker and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Strain and reserve the cooking juices and place in a medium sauce pan and whisk in cornstarch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Brush reduced sauce over chicken and broil until crispy, about 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway and brushing with more sauce.
*If liquid does not just barely submerge the wings, add some chicken broth.
Source: Adapted from my Slow Cooker Honey Gold Chicken Wings, The Chunky Chef, and a recipe from a pizza & wing shop Bob used to work for in Rochester, NY.